We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Castro Valley, CA
13 posts
Save Topic
Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

We're staying at the OCT and were hoping to do some snorkeling. A traveler posted a negative review for the hotel partially because of a shark attack in March. It looks like the report was confirmed, so I was wondering if there have been more sightings since then and if the resorts have spotters? It seems like it should decrease as summer rolls around, but that's only what I've learned about our guys over here in the Pacific.

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

None as of late. The resorts do not have spotters as this is soooooo infrequent. Better odds of being hit by a car.

Castro Valley, CA
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

Okay, we'll go ahead and pack our gear. If visibility is bad it won't make for good snorkeling anyway, so we'll see how it looks. Thanks!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

I saw a shark when snorkelling in Feburary 2011, but it took off very quickly and haven't seen another one.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

probably means its about due for one

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

In the 9+ years I have lived here, the attack last March is the only one I have ever heard of.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

We've been to OCT in June of this year and the visibility was very poor...the water was pretty bad with sea weeds and that's been going on for a while too from what I understand - I've seen lots of reviews and postings on here about it. There are no reefs by that hotel so I doubt there's ever good snorkeling by there. We couldn't see anything at all - the water was very dark. If you want good snorkeling go to Akumal beach - it is AMAZING!!!! Best I've seen in my life and I've been to Carribean a few times.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

Go to the pier head in "downtown" Puerto Morelos. For about $25pp a guide boat will take you out to the reef. We had great visibility, I thinkl we were the only few folks out there around noon. Snorkeled 'til we cried "uncle". Saw barracuda, conchs, all manner of corals and fish, no sharks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

The snorkeling is also great right off the beach between Villas Playasol and Villas Latinas. It's part of the National Park and there are even a few permanent buoys for snorkelers to rest.

LaSalle, Ontario
Level Contributor
305 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

Last March we did the snorkel trip with the guides from the pier at PM (the cooperative they have going there.) It was great, but we are thinking we'd like to do some off-beach snorkelling too. Hubby and I have seen turtles but not much else in an afternoon at Akumal. Though I would go back there in a minute, it is quite a distance from PM, and likely a costly cab ride...probably better to rent a car like we did last time. Also saw only parrotfish at Yal-ku in Akumal, but others say they saw tons of stuff.

Where are the two places mentioned in this thread as good off-beach options in PM? Anyone else have any suggestions?

Seattle
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any recent shark sightings in Puerto Morelos?

The location with the resting buoys is about 3 blocks north of the town square.