We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston,TX
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Hoping a recent guest can explain what the traditional temazcal steam room ceremony is and also the thalasso seawater experience. Both are listed in the list of "Your Endless Privileges". I googled temazcal ceremony but I still don't really understand what it includes. Just wondering is either of these experiences are worth time away from the beach. We will be arriving on June 17. Thanks very much!

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Temazcal is what is called in the USA sweat lodge - there is however a lot of spirituality involved with it here with lots of mayan traditions associated with it. So if there is a really good person running it it is an amazing experience

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Bix a bel,

The Temazcal session included in your Endless Privileges Gateway at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita is a native Mexican steam bath and this is leaded by a real shaman. It is a beautiful experience if you are interested in getting involve with Mexican traditions and Mayan culture. As CatinMexico had kindly mentioned there is spirituality involved.

You will be able to book this wonderful experience directly with the Guest Assistant staff or at the Thalasso Center once at the resort.

The Thalasso Sea Water experience, is an introduction to Thalasso therapy. This is a guided session by a Thalasso expert where you will be able to enjoy correctly the benefits from this ancient salt water therapy. You will be able to book this directly with our Thalasso Center representatives once at the resort.

It is important to mention that both experiences have limited spots and we encourage our guests to book this early to ensure availability.

I hope this information was useful for you. Do not hesitate in contacting me if I can assist you with anything else.

Kind regards,

Zuko Garcia

Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge

Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya

info.zopbd@zoetryresorts.com

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Thanks Zuko.We can't wait to experience some of the Mayan culture..

IL
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

You really have to do it!

We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was scheduled for 11am - which is a perfect time. We did not do it this visit, but did a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. It's only 30-45 min and right by the spa (30 sec walk from pool). They do some chanting and invocations and you sit in the tiny hut filled with smoke from a pit, then the shaman pours water into the pit and you get steamed. Very neat. It's great to participate in something that is so meaningful to the histroy of the region.

One word of warning: my husband is clostrophobic and did not like it at all (small hut, smoke, steam)! I loved it, but have not been able to convince him to do it again! Next time (it will be our fifth visit), I will do it without him, if I have too.

Enjoy,

P

Houston,TX
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Thanks to all for the info! We are leaving this Friday so I will report back if we try it.

L G
Youngstown
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Anyone have more info on the Thalasso Seawater Experience? I am still confused as to what it actually is. Sounds like a gimmick to get you to spend more money in the spa. . .

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

Hi LG

See details below from their website

"As part of your benefits of Endless Privileges®, guests will be treated to a complimentary Thalasso Seawater Treatment. The treatment begins with a welcome ritual in the steam room, to soothe and loosen muscles followed by a Thalassotherapy Saltwater Pool treatment to open pores and relax muscles. Next, guests will enjoy a brief Kneip therapy, a therapeutic alternating application of hot and cold water to revitalize the body and immune system and promote detoxification"

We have had similar treatments at other resorts and it is very invigorating

8. Re: Zoetry - Temazcal Ceremony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2013