We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School supplies for P.M.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
School supplies for P.M.

Hello!

We arrive at the Excellence on the 11th of Feb and bringing school supplies for Puerto Morelos with us. I read somewhere that the drop off was at Mama's Bakery?? Is that correct? Boy are we looking forward to two weeks of bliss and won't miss the snow either!

Turner Valley...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: School supplies for P.M.

We just got back yesterday and did the same thing.

We took the collectivo from our resort and it dropped us off on the main square in P.M. We then wandered the town looking for Mama's bakery - everyone we asked gave us different directions.

We eventually found it - it is down about a block from the main square where the bus drops you off - just on the other side of the street.

I was told that the bakery is closed on Mondays so went on a Tuesday.

We brought along stuff from the dollar store (lots of educational puzzles, little globes, clock puzzles, maps, protractor sets etc.)

The ladies at the bakery said that they loved what we brought along because you just can't get that kind of educational stuff there.

Check the web site for what they are currently needing. Also the ladies told us that if you fly West Jet they allow you to bring one suitcase full of items for humanitarian purposes, free of charge.

Out of all the things while on vacation - this was the most touching and important to our family and we wish we could do more.

Turner Valley...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: School supplies for P.M.

Another thing to note is that when you go through security and customs in Canada you will be asked how much the value of the items are (it must be under $300Cnd).

Customs also confiscated all the scissors before allowing the suitcases through (they were all paper scissors with blunt ends or designs on the blade edges- but they still wouldn't allow us to take them.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School supplies for P.M.

Thanks Sanidapi7 - good to know info & thanks for the directions. Not flying Westjet, but I think we can incorporate the weight into our luggage or diving bag. Every trip we take to Mexico or Dominican we take school supplies. It's very rewarding to help out in some small way. Never feels like enough, but you do what you can.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School supplies for P.M.

What website do you check for their needs? We are headed back down in August, staying at the ERC. We will walk to town and so hope we can find it ok.

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School supplies for P.M.

Hi thanks for all the things you dropped at Mama's Bakery they were delivered to the schools yesterday. We have a complete list of the needs on www.emppm.com the website for the charity El Mundo para Puerto Morelos SC. Right now the government has upped its sports programme at all the schools in order to combat rising obesity - so all types of sport equipment and clothing is useful too!

thanks

cat

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School supplies for P.M.

Mama's Bakery along with Cantina Habanero is also a drop off point for items for The Little English Schoolhouse Project. thelittleenglishschoolhouse.com/index.html

There is a needed items list there and while you are on the website check out Frank's Page ( thelittleenglishschoolhouse.com/FranksPage.h… ) Weekly restaurant reviews, Questions and answers and an original daily philosophical quote by yours truly.

"I once found myself up a creek with 2 paddles....and I felt sorry for someone"

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School supplies for P.M.

just for clarification items intended for the charity to help the kindergartens, primary and high schools, medical clinics or emergency services can only be dropped at Mama's Bakery and Mayan Riviera Properties ( on the town square) or if you would like us to come to your hotel (and you're nearby) we can come and pick up. If you have children with you, you may be interested to help with drop offs at the school and the children get to see the difference here! El Mundo Puerto Morelos is also registered in the USA with a 501c for tax free donations. We are currently working with local volunteers and buildng shade for one of the kindergartens and organising a medical seminar for doctors on use of the ultrasound machine. medical supplies are always needed too.

Edited: 12:53 pm, February 03, 2011
KC MO
Level Contributor
614 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School supplies for P.M.

Bump for a great causes

Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School supplies for P.M.

We will be there from the 19th to 25th of july and will have suitcases filled with clothing. Please contact me at the Ocean Turquesa hotel. My children would like to deliver the items

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School supplies for P.M.

Hi Marge - I don' know your names, maybe you can drop me an email when you are here - cat@puertomorelosliving.com. School is closed when you are here howver if you have clothing suitable for senior citizens we could go to their centre? The rest we can keep for later.