We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are home from SERC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
We are home from SERC

We got back late last night from our honeymoon. Wow, what a place, what service, what friendly people. We couldn't reccommend it more. The beach was great, I ate way too much and I keep reaching for the Margarita that would be my side if I was still there. sigh...

ANy questions?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are home from SERC

Hi creamcheese - was the hotel fully booked? Just wondering how busy it is now. Thanks!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: We are home from SERC

Not fully booked by any means. Someone said it was 30%, I would believe that. Though I heard they were going to be busier this week. Friday night, we noticed that there seemed to be more people around (and a lot we didn't recognize).

Even if it was full, this place would be great to go to,and I don't think there would be any problems finding seats at the pools or the restaurants.

Maplewood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are home from SERC

Hello creamcheese

Welcome back...

Are they wrapping up the construction and planting of trees? We are going to be there Jan 21 - 28.

Are the papalas (sp?) back up on the beach? Are there enough of them for all who wanted them? Do they serve you while on the beach? Or do you have to walk back to get a refill?

Did you go into Cancun? Is it still bad in areas there? How about Playa Del Carmen?

Thanks!!!! and Merry Christmas

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: We are home from SERC

They were planting like crazy! During the week, they would start planting early in the morning and they would still be at it when we went to bed at night. There were a few spots where it looked like they would be putting in trees, but they were mainly doing plants and flowers while we were there. Almost all the areas around the main public spaces were completed by the time we left.

The palapas were all done on the beach. The only things they were working on there, were the pier and a couple of huts that they were going to use for massages on the beach and one that would be used as a staging area for the dinners on the beach. The work being done, didn't impact our stay at all.

There were tons of palapas and chairs on the beach, and William would come by regularly and make sure that you had whatever you needed (food or drink). He took good care of everyone.

Make sure you order the Mayan coffee at El Patio. You can get it at Portifino, but you don't get the show. Definitly something to see.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are home from SERC

Welcome back creamcheese. Glad to had a wonderful time. Would you happen to have any photos you could share? I'd be happy to provide my e-mail address if you do.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: We are home from SERC

We put a few photos up with our review. It wouldn't let us post the one we stitched together of the whole beach. We will get some posted and let you know the link in the next couple of days. The place looks great. Absolutely nothing to worry about. A couple of our photos look like they are from the brochure.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are home from SERC

Hi Creamcheese,

Welcome back.

Thanks for the offer on info. 6 of us are going in Feb. How easy is it to visit all of the restaurants with some closed at different times and limited seating?

Do we just make reservations when we arrive like at other AI's?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We are home from SERC

The restaurants at SERC were all great and no reservations at all. They don't take reservations. You get a newsletter each evening at turn down service and they print the retaurants that are open for the day and evening. You decide where you want to go and just show up! If there is a wait then they give you a beeper and you can enjoy some drinks or occasional music entertainment in the courtyard while you wait. I suggest that you be sure to get to Bordeaux, EL Patio, Portofino's and Himitsu if you really like Japanese/sushi. I personally enjoyed El Patio/Bordeaux/Seaside grill and Oceana the most. So try them all at least one time! We skipped the evening buffets so we could eat at every restaurant instead! Have Fun.....

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are home from SERC

Shellgirl- Thank you for your reply. How easy is that dining esperience? The beeper idea is a excellent idea. Our rushing to make immediate reservations at the Iberostar Del-Mar specialty restaurants made me feel like I was in a Dickens novel. But the Del-Mar was nice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: We are home from SERC

If I may......not having to make reservations is perfect!

It's not too difficult to visit each one at least once during a 7 night stay. Just plan ahead a little bit and you can work around the closed issue.

Even if there is a short wait, just relax at the bar with your favorite drink and have a good time!