We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets additional info

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Front Royal, VA
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets additional info

I forgot to mention the Spa...I don't know how I forgot. You do have to pay addtional fees for the spa services, but it is well worth it. I booked the Stress Relief massage when we first arrived beacuse the appointments fill up quickly. The Spa is very clean and the staff is extremely friendly.

I wanted to give a heads up if you do use the phone in the room. We didn't read too carefully about additional charges. We thought if we made local or 800 # calls that we wouldn't have to pay extra. When we checked out we were a little shocked that we were charged approximately $5.75 US for every 800# and $1.15 US for local. If I would have known about the additional charge for the 800# calling card, I wouldn't have used it. I would have made all of the calls from my cell phone.

SF
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets additional info

Thank you for such a thorough review. My boyfriend and I will be leaving SF this Tuesday heading to Secret Excellence. I had stressed for over a month in hopes of finding a wonderful resort.

if I may ask, are guest able to rent a car from the resort or do we need to do that at the airport? I only want a car for two days max, and we'll be there for five.

Front Royal, VA
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets additional info

I apologize for not getting back with you sooner, hopefully this information can help someone. The resort had many representatives in the lobby during the day and I believe one was car rental. They also had poeple available for different tours, etc.

sewell nj
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets additional info

marleanm...could you give me some info on the evening dress at secrets? i don't mind dressing up now and then but sometimes i just want to wear my denim shorts with a cute top. any problem with this? also someone told me guys have to wear long pants, no shorts in the resturants. is this true???

finally, did your cell phone work there? i have cingular and it would be great to be able to check on the kids at home and not have to use the phone in the room! we are leaving 1/15 to 22.

thanks!

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets additional info

Not Marlean...but maybe I can help.

The dress @ night is sundresses, skirt, nice capris or slacks with

nice sandals for woman - for men...slacks with a polo shirt or

hawaiian type shirt. No sandals for men they are to have closed toe shoes.

I do believe the exception is the Oceana restaurant where

it is a little more casual but I only ate there for lunch..so

somebody else would have to comment on the dress for dinner.

During the day ...shorts were fine for lunch. We even saw

couples in swim suits with cover ups.

Forget about the cell phone. We had ours programmed for international and it still did not work.

They do have plenty of PC's to use...so you can stay in touch

with the family via email..if you would like.

PS...do not over pack! you are in your swimsuit the majority

of the day and in your evening clothes only a few hours each

night.

Front Royal, VA
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets additional info

I agree with skipdog about the dress. My husband wore closed toed shoes, khakis, and polo shirt for dinners. I wore sandals, nice top, and either pants, capris, or skirts. It did get a little cool in the evenings, either pants or a light jacket will do the job.

We do have cingular and did use our cell phones while we were at Secrets Excellence. Before leaving for Mexico, we called cingular and had them add the service to our phone (the ability to call mexico from the US and the ability to call from mexico to the US...make sure you indicate both ways if that is what you want). It was a small monthly fee and they charged maybe 9cents a minute for the call. You can cancel the service when you return. It took maybe 2 days for them to add the service to both of our phones. If you do this, don't forget your phone charger. Have a great time.

SF
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets additional info

Hello,

I was there Jan.4-9th, my boyfriend and I always dress for dinner, however I did see people in very casual attire, and one man at the Asian place had white casual slacks with open sandels. He did say to us that he was surprised they let him in!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets additional info

WinterRobin,

Another possibility, other than your cell phone, is to buy a phone card here, and leave it for your kids to call you. You can get them for about $20, and it will give you way more minutes than you will need, as it is like 5-6 cents a minute. I've ordered them from uniontelecard.com; or they are available at Sam's and Costco. If your cell phone doesn't work, it's probably the cheapest way to go.

hamilton,ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets additional info

Do you guys know the email address for the resort. Also what building do you think is best to stay in? We are going to the

resort on Jan 31/2004

Thanks Lori

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets additional info

The best building is # 7 (oceanfront) # 8 is oceanfront too..

but it is just a little further from everything. (not that much though) Building # 6 is ocean view...and I do not know about

the other building #'s. (Some overlook the spa - others overlook the back part of the resort)

It all depends on what you are use too. All the rooms are

awesome.

sewell nj
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets additional info

thanks to everyone for the advice on evening attire at serc. its a little stricter than secrets punta cana so i'm glad i asked. skipdog...i have to overpack, its my nature! a special thanks to marleanm for the cingular info! gonna go call right now since i'm leaving in about 30 hrs! the kids can call me from our home phone but i don't want to be a slave to my room phone. i also need to call during the football game this sunday!!