We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SERC - clothing odor

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
114 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
SERC - clothing odor

We returned from the SERC a week ago. Our room had a musky odor attributed to the fact that the A/C goes off when you aren't in the room. I have noticed that my clothes now have that same musky odor. I have laundered them numerous times and cannot seem to get rid of the odor. It is nauseating. I'm beginning to become concerned that I picked up a toxic mold or something. I'm going to launder them one more time and put them in the sun for a day, other than that I may have to throw away my clothes :-(

Has anyone else had this problem? This is the only problem I've had with the SERC. The facility, staff, food etc was awesome...but this is causing me to become disheartened.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: SERC - clothing odor

our clothes were just fine, and so was our A/C. Ours never turned off the entire time. We also had it set at 60 the whole time also. When you are done wearing your clothes put em in a garbage bag...We used the shelves and had no problems. A tip for while you are there...if you have the moldy musty smell call the housekeeping or conceirge, they will give you a spray that neutralizes the smell almost instantly, our neighbors had problems with it and it went away almost instantly.

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: SERC - clothing odor

Don't forget your luggage sits at the airport in the HOT HUMIDITY also!

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: SERC - clothing odor

We did not have this problem. The AC only turns off when you open your sliding door. It doesn't turn off automatically during the day.

USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: SERC - clothing odor

An update - The smell went away after we washed them for a 2nd time.

Mass
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: SERC - clothing odor

I know just the smell you are talking about. It would hit us in the face every time we walked into the room. I'm pretty sure it is from the humidity. We even brought two king size pillows so now they have the SERC smell! Strange, isn't it? At least it's not the same smell as when you are walking out at night. PEEEEUUUWWW. Never found out what that stink was all about. Don't know if I really want to know. It may ruin our memories!

georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: SERC - clothing odor

Drycleaners have a special solution to get odors out. It is the one they use on clothes that have smoke damage from a fire. If this doesn't work, nothing will. Be sure and ask them to use the special solution for taking out tough odors when you take the items.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
114 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: SERC - clothing odor

I tried the Febreeze detergent and it really did work. Thanks for the heads up.