We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Coral and Turquesa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
WV
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ocean Coral and Turquesa

The day before my two children and I were to leave for Mexico I received an email telling me I had been 'upgraded' to Ocean Maya and given VIP status. The definition for 'upgrade' in Mexican must be the opposite of the American version. There was no comparison to the resort I booked and the resorted we were dropped off at. As I was checking in I was asked to sign a letter offering me a free stay for my 'inconvenience'. The letter was put in front of me with discounts for the spa covering the details. Once I started asking questions, I found out Ocean Coral and Turquesa had been over booked and I had gotten the 'upgrade' to a lesser resort. It took the better part of our first day to get us moved back to the resort I booked and cost me several phone calls home for assistance and calls to my sister and her family waiting for us in Ocean Coral and Turquesa. Once they realized I was not giving up or signing the letter, we were given a 'free' taxi ride to our original hotel 30 miles away. The taxi driver spoke no English, so we had no idea how long of a ride we were in for, or if we were even safe. At times he topped 100 miles an hour. Once we arrived and checked in, we were placed in a Deluxe Junior Suite, even though I had booked and paid for a Deluxe Royal Junior Suite. We received no apology or compensation or our ordeal or change in rooms.

During our stay the hotel was holding a Rally Better conference, I suspect they are the reason we were not given our booked room and for the original ordeal. The group was very large, loud, rude and mostly intoxicated. The resort closed entire areas off to accommodate this group, which limited the areas the rest of the paying guests were able to enter. My only other complaint is the lack of stocking of the minibar in our room. It was supposed to be stocked every day, it was not. I would call every day numerous times and request water and diet coke and always be told it would be taken care of. It never was, I finally went to the front desk to see what the issue was and was told it is done daily at 8am. How they do every room in the place at 8am on the dot I would like to see, but they skipped my room the entire stay and we had to get water front he lobby bar ourselves and I finally had to BUY the diet coke at the gift shop! It may sound minor to some, but when you are expecting all inclusive and told you are paying for certain amenities, you should get them.

On the positive side, the resort was beautiful and very clean (except later in the day around the pool bar). Housekeeping did an excellent job and was always prompt and polite, responding to any request. The food was bountiful and offered a large selection. A professional food critic may not be so positive, but there never a problem finding something to eat, to point of putting on a few pounds! The steak dinner at the Italian restaurant was wonderful as were the shrimp fajitas at the Mexican restaurant. You could not eat at the Japanese steakhouse grill without being a paying member of the H10 club, although you could eat from the menu. We chose not to eat there. You also could not get into the Onyx Club if you were not a paying member of the H10 club. I signed up before going and am a member of the H10 club, but I'm not sure what it got me. Maybe my 'upgrade' : ). All in all after totally wasting our first day and scaring my son to death during the taxi ride, the rest of our vacation was very nice and relaxing.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

Just curious, who did you book your trip through?

Also, I wonder if the 100mph was maybe 100kph (60 mph). I think most of the cabs would disintergrate if running at 100 miles per hour.

WV
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

The speedometer showed over 140kph so thank God the car was built better than the ones you have seen!

We booked our trip online through bookit.com.

As you can probably tell from my posting, I had some issues i was not happy about, but aside from the reservation run around and the way it was handled, we had a wonderful time. The views were amazing and the time around the pool and the beach was fun for the kids and relaxing for the adults. We found our room very comfortable and clean, as well as, all the other areas on the resort we visited.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,893 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

what was it about ocean maya that you thought was a down grade??? it is as well a 4-4.5 star resort and looks beautiful.... I would of requested another resort to compensate you since you were un happy with ocean maya, they usually will try to work something out, then maybe you could of suggested one that you would of wanted...

WV
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

Ocean Maya may have been fine if it would have been what we were expecting, but there was no comparison to Ocean Coral and Turquesa. Maya had two pools side by side, C/T has 4 large pools. The room at Maya was not even in the same ball park, two small size full beds that were hard as boards, no place for my son to sleep (there were three of us), the bath room had about a 3 inch whole in the door and we had booked a room with an outdoor shower and tub, which there was none. I wish I would have thought to take pictures, the room we were given looks nothing like the pictures on web. There were topless women walking on the beach, not a problem for me, to each their own, but not the family vacation I had in mind for my 13 year old son and his 11 year old cousin. We did not see one topless person or tong at C/T. We picked C/T because it had only been opened since December is new and twice the size of Maya. Also, my sister and her family that we were on vacation with was in C/T some 40 minutes away.

We did ask to be moved back to C/T and we eventually were.

CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

Sorry to hear about your "upgrading" experience.

Upgrading to Ocean Maya from Ocean C&T seems odd. (unless you were given a way better room than your original Royal.)

I have signed up for the H10 club also, and I am hoping for a upgrade within Ocean C&T only.

A sort of related question, what is a paying member of h10 club? (just sign up and staying over there?)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,893 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

ahhh i see your point, just needed to ask as that was one we have thought about for our jan holiday. we will be going with our 2 year old ( he will just be 2) and wanted a larger room so his crib is away from our bed. it's nice to hear others views and comparisons with the hotels of your choice to narrow down choices.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

Hi,

I just booked Ocean Coral/Turquesa for February (hopefully most of the kinks would be worked-out by then). I am curious about H10 club as well. Where do you sign up for that? Does it or doesn't it cost money? As far as you anyone knows, would bringing membership with you would entitle you to some priveledges?

I also have my own post, answer it please if you have been to the resort.

On the lighter note: the 11 and 13 year old boys may remember this vacation for the rest of their lives because of the topless women :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

travelforever

When in February are you going, we will be there the first two weeks, always looking to meet new people/

9. Re: Ocean Coral and Turquesa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, October 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Morelos