We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

Both of these resorts look nice. Can any one shine some light on which one may be better? Location, beach, food?

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

I would suggest sending a PM to FFman. He seems to know quite a bit about these 2 resorts.

Medicine Hat...
Level Contributor
337 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

We have been to ERC and loved it. I believe ERC is closer to Cancun (the airport) making the trip to the resort quicker. The beach was great. The staff cleans it regularly(seaweed) I didn't see any garbage at all on the beach. The food was fabulous, a great variety. What my husband and I enjoyed most was the fact that even though the resort was at capacity, you never felt like it was packed. The grounds aren't rediculously huge, but everyone seems to have their own space. I would highly recommend ERC. Any more specific questions about erc just write me.

Michelle

Colorado
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

Stayed at ERC last year and loved it. We were booked for this year, but switched to EPM.

EPM just opened last fall (maybe Nov-ish), and it looks amazing and the reviews have been good. It sounds to me, very similar to ERC, with some updates and changes based on feedback from people staying at ERC.

Also, EPM has rooftop terrace rooms - only available there.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

Can you please give us some more info on what you are looking for in a resort and what types of activities you like. Both Resorts are very nice. It just depends on your likes and dislikes. What's important to you. Where do you want to visit, EPM is just North of Cancun and ERC is just South of Cancun, half way between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

LTS

London, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

and one is Thanks everyone

luvthesun2 to answer your questions

We usually don't do too much while on holidays. We just relax by the pool or on the beach. Activities and sight seeing are not a concern for us.

What’s important to us?

1) Nice beach... clean and calm waters

2) Nice pool.... large with lots of room..... LOVING the idea of a swim up room

3) Clean room with comfortable bed

4) Dinning options

5) Mostly adults (we have no kids by choice)

We like things simple.... what caught my attention in these 2 resorts is that we have never traveled to Mexico and after researching A LOT of areas and resorts on this site. Some of the beaches don't look that great. Yet these 2 look amazing (wide, long, no ugly sand bags, little if any rocks) Then I started researching the resorts more and I must say I think I am sold they look amazing. I now just have to decide which one and not sure how....not to sure what the difference is other then one is new older.

Virginia
Level Contributor
348 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

I just booked a vacation at ERC today after doing tons of research. EPM was another of my top three choices (the third was the Royal in Cancun), but I chose ERC for the following reasons:

1-I'm going with my sister, and I've heard that the bathrooms (especially the toilet and shower) at EPM offer pretty much no privacy and are only separated by the rest of the room with glass doors. My sister and I are perfectly comfortable with each other, but there are some things we'd reason not see/hear. Apparently ERC has a more solid door, at least to the toilet area.

2-I like the appearance of the bedding at ERC more than EPM. Totally trivial and matter of opinion (plus they really look quite similar), but it makes a slight difference to me.

3-I like that the location is in Puerto Morelos instead of Cancun. I can't really explain why.

So anyway, it was very close, but I went ahead and took the plunge with ERC, and I'm very excited about it!

Colorado
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

I think you will be happy with either resort. Maybe visit the website www.excellence-resorts.com and look at pictures of the rooms, pools, etc. of each, and that may help with the decision.

They pretty much have the same restaurant choices at each, both have large beaches (sounds like the water may be a bit prettier at EPM), nice rooms...

Good luck with deciding :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

annieb - you are right - the door to the toilet closet at ERC is wood, frosted glass at EPM. Definatley is a factor depending on who you are traveling with.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

skyset42, The ERC resort is closer to the airport. EPM, as stated before, may have calmer waters. The ocean swimming at ERC is not great. If it's windy the swimming is poor. If you are a beach person, but not a sea water perosn, which some people are, ERC would be good. If your looking for R and R with lots of quiet areas to relax, ERC is great. It's half way between Playa Del Carmen and Cancun so good location. EPM would be close to Cancun but an hour or a little over from PDC. EPM is newer so and has a different decor. The pics can help you see that and see which you prefer. After reading your perferences. I would think either of the resorts would suit you and both are nice. I haven't stayed at EPM but the food at ERC is great. We loved ERC so much last year we are going back this March again. We didn't want to take the chance on EPM mostly because we had already been to ERC and new what we were getting.

Hope this helps,

LTS

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,731 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres vs Excellence Riviera Cancun

Hi

As has been said you cannot go wrong with either.

We elected to go to EPM because it is "New" and it has taken accommodation standards to a whole new level. Also what you have to understand is that when they designed EPM they looked at ERC and uplifted all the good parts and rectified anything that was not quite right or missing and built thing into their design.

Both are slightly remote - EMP more so at this stage and both are far enough away from the concrete jungle that is the main strip of Cancun.

All the items on your hit list get ticks at both resorts