We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SERC-how do opinions vary so much

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SERC-how do opinions vary so much

I guess I am having trouble understanding cases like today. Two new reviews rating 5 star, 2 new rating 1 star. Why is this resort getting so many varied thoughts? Other resorts don't have this problem. And it seems the good reviews go into great detail and the very low scores are no more than a few sentences. You'd think all these ticked off and disapponted people would go into the same length or more to vent. I just want to understand, I now different people want different things, but this is crazy. I am glad to read both ends of the spectrum, great info either way, but I want to get to the bottom of this. I am hoping to hear from all those who have been to shed some light on the topic, thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

There was no backhanded praise, stop being paranoid. And the problem with your "people are different" theory is that you would see the exact same trend for every single hotel on here...every one. That just isn't the case. You may see some 2-3 stars then mostly 5's with other places but with SERC you see 5's or 1's. I choose to ignore your other pointed comments

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

So let me get this straight . . . because I can't quite believe what I just read . . . Elang, are you defending a resort you have never been to? OMG, that IS rich. I thought for sure you were a regular. You are telling me my opinion shouldn't count because I picked the wrong resort, even though you've never been there? So upon what basis should your opinion count, exactly?

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me where on the Mayan Riviera you have been, since you seem to know that SERC is waaayyyyy better than anywhere else around there (even though your foot remains untrodden on the pillowy grounds)?

So, I want to say, if you absolutely require tangibles as to why SERC did not make the 6 apple grade:

1) I like rack of lamb. They advertise rack of lamb. But they serve lamb chops.

2) I had to go in search of towels each day for the pool. They were supposed to bring them to me. They never did, not on any day.

3) The SPA is ridiculously overpriced, even for the wealthy. $90 for a 50 minute massage? That's more expensive than most spas in the states.

4) If I forgot to leave a tip for the maid, our mini bar wasn't restocked and I had no towel art. This goes along with tipping.

5) The seagrass I don't mind, but the water murky at their special spot on the sea. I have seen the water from Cancun to Xcalak, and no where else does it look so unappealing.

6) Every person there had their hand out for a tip. No resort I have stayed in is like this. When you check in, you are basically REQUIRED to wait for the bag man in your room so he can deliver them - basically for a fee (other resorts are happy to drop them off). Anything anyone else does for you is greeted with expectation. I have plenty of cash, but found this attitude offensive and completely unrefined.

7) The food is sub par for what is advertised. So all of you who think you know exactly what kind of person I am, I will let you know: I am 35 years old and blessed with the ability to travel and dine out all the time. While I like adventure travel, I like refined travel very much. In the last 2 years, I have been to the Caribbean, Europe, Mexico 5 times, and vacationed in the states 3 times. I know what truly fine food is, and SERC has never heard of it. Add to the dining insult that you have to pay extra (oh, not extra, pay premium prices) for wine that doesn't taste like swill is offensive. Add even more to the insult when you can't get any lobster tail at any restaurant, and any lobster you do see on the menu is body meat and not tail.

8) Their no-reservation system left me seething after being told I would have to wait 1.5 hours for a table 3 of the nights during our stay. Others were just as mad and went back to their rooms for room service.

9) I don't care if the live entertainment is lame, it is a cheap cop out to show some old movie 3 nights out of the week. At least with lame live entertainment I know someone made an effort.

So there you are, Elang, 9 tangible reasons that SERC was subpar. If you would like to discredit them, how about waiting until you have set foot in the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

Dasmarian nails it on the head - SERC under-delivers, and failings on the part of the resort and ought to be reported as part of a review.

And that, elang ol' buddy, is why "these types of inconsistencies are here, and only for SERC for some reason."

Now are you going to "distance yourself" again from hearing things you don't want to hear? Or just rationalize it all away? Tell you what - you might have beter luck sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nananananana" untill you leave in October.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

miserable, mean-spirited, agenda driven people. For someone who clamors for people's opinions to be accepted Webkatz, you sure have a hard time accepting other's. And DM, that was better but my opinion is the same...you knew most of that stuff before you went so you should have known you'd hate it. Were you looking for a reason to be miserable?

And remember, over 60-70% of people on here have never been to x-resort so they are finding out info...who reads reviews people who have been or people who are going??? nuff said, good day

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

by the way DM...never mentioned SERC in comparison to anywhere else, never once....

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

Going for Option C, eh elang - rationalize AND discredit with a touch of conspiracy theory.

Yep, everybody who has anything negative to say about SERC has some nefarious agenda and we're all out to get you.

Here a little tip, pal, don't ask for what you don't want 'cause it's pretty obvious you can't handle it.

Have a great trip!

Dave

Cochranville...
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

Ok, I think the problem here is not the varying reviews or the negative topics, but the fact that when someone has something negative to say, you act like anyone who would disagree or like SERC it is out of their mind! First of all, webkatz, I've read your comments, I've seen your web page and I think your experiences in Mexico are wonderful. You've had amazing local experiences and have added great comments. But how can you blast elang for her comments on never having been to SERC and then make the same type of comments about SERC under delivering based on desmarian's negative reviews? elang can have positive expecations based on positive reviews as well as you can have negative expecations - sure you may have seen the property. But you have not truly experienced it. I have stayed there. I have been to the Rivera Maya 4 times and Cozumel once. I am by no means an expert on the area, but I know what I like and I feel I can make fair comparisons on 4-5 star resorts. I honestly feel that dasmarian is blowing things out of proportion trying to stir things up. Let's be nitpicky based on his comments -

1 - rack of lamb - you want to blast a resort because you didn't get rack of lamb? That's childish.

2 - towels - Maybe his week was different than ours. We were there at full capicity and never had to hunt down a towel. Every morning a towel was placed on each chair. It was folded up. If it was unfolded, the chair was taken. Maybe desmarin didn't realize that a folded towel was for the taking. Or that the neatly folded stack of towels in the Aqua World hut was for the taking. There are no towel cards - take as many towels as you need! Ask one of the many employees for a towel! They'll bring you one!

3 - the spa - Maybe in Indiana you can get less expensive spa treatments, but comparable to where I live and where I've travelled the prices are VERY competitive. I had a hot stone massage for $160 for EIGHTY minutes. I've paid $175 for 50 minutes in the US. $90 for a 50 minute massage, a comparable SPA massage will charge upwards of $125 around here. I could go to a massage only location and pay $75, but that's not a spa massage. Several guests I spoke with commented on the reasonable spa prices. Plus if you booked before noon, you got 10% off.

4 - we only tipped our maid the last day. Our mini bar was stocked every day. Turndown service every night. towel art most days but I wouldn't let a towel elephant ruin my vacation.

5. The resort does NOT control the ocean. the ocean is NATURE

6 - Not one employee seemed to feel entitled to a tip in my opinion. When we did tip, which was mainly after dinner and only left on the table, rarely handed to an employee, it was met with much gratitude. Our bellboy gave us exceptional service in showing us our room including explaining in detail how everything worked, yet he was out the door and almost to the elevator before we got to him to tip him. He never "looked" for a tip.

7 - we are very critical diners - I am very picky and my husband is a chef and picks food apart. However, we are aware that we are not in the US at a gourmet restaurant. We are at an AI in Mexico and we found the selection and presentation to be very good. In comparison to the 5 other AI's in Mexico we have been to it wins, no competition. Some meals could have used some seasoning, but overall the food was very good.

8 - our wait for dinner was never the length of time we were told. Always half. Most people we saw went to walk on the beach or met some new people, and hung out by the bar or in the lobby. I met no one who complained about the wait. The beepers worked everywhere but in your rooms. It's funny because if you read the reviews about the resorts with reservations or talked to people at SERC where they had stayed where reservations were required, they all prefered this system - no reservations, hang out with friends or your partner. No making decisions at the beginning of your trip for the entire week about dinners....

9 - entertainment - not much to say - didn't see it - but the movies were every night BEFORE the regular entertainment. And as you know now, they did have a disco....

Sorry this is so long, but you really didn't seem to give the resort a chance. It really is a shame that your vacation left such a bad taste in your mouth. I wouldn't say SERC is the best vacation I have ever had. I don't even know that I would go back - we like to try different places. But is was definitely one of our better vacations. And webkatz, I don't want to offend you by my inital comment, because like I said - I've gotten a lot from your insights, but for you to say that SERC underdelivers based on desmarians comments, is really being unfair because to me it's totally untrue. As I said - no they're not perfect - but I have been there and they do deliver as advertised. It may not be the ultimate paradise, but they sure try.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

Katz, it looks like s(he) took the 'rationalize it all away' route. I'm wondering how I was supposed to know all the things I complained about beforehand. I think I knew about the sea grass, which doesn't bug me. But lordy, when the food is so heavily advertised and then is just ok . . . well, its perfect for people who only think they know what fine means.

Katz, I would be interested in your thoughts on Holbox. Have you done the whale shark swim, and if not what's Holbox all about otherwise? How sleepy is it? Is it Tulum sleepy, or maybe Mahajual sleepy? I know the whale sharks will be gone during my next trip (in Dec) but maybe next summer or something I would add it in but kind of hard to find much out there from a non-advertising site. So, I would actually value your opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: SERC-how do opinions vary so much

First off, elang8 is a guy (kinda) and ought to be able to take what he dishes out. Quit standing up for him.

Second, glad you like our site, thanks.

Third, I don't care if you like SERC or not. What I find funny is someone who hasn't even been there defending the place in the face of legitimate criticisms.

And finally, what's almost as funny is people who've been there rationalizing away the same legitimate criticisms. I am quite certain in your mind that SERC doesn't under deliver. To other folks, it just doesn't make the cut, and we're all entitled to our opinions here.