We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
933 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

I'm worried about the recent post calling SERC a senior citizen resort. My husband and I, 29 and 27, are hoping to relax during the day and party a little at night. I read a post that said the age of people at the resort at the time will determine the atmosphere. Any other 20-40's going July 24-31?

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

Kajunkel, dont list to that person. First of all I am in my very early 40's my husband is 47. When we were there the majority of the people with in their late 20's and early 30's. Yes there were some older people there, but you would never know it. Some of those woman looked better than the 30 year olds. I have a sneaking suspicion that the person who wrote that review is the same person that made a drunken fool of himself while there was a wedding going on. Believe me, his opinion is not to be trusted. You will have a wonderful time, believe me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

Kajunkel, please, please don't worry. I was there at the same time as Judy (we all had a great time). We are 'a little' older than Judy & her husband (not going to say how much!) & it seemed to me that most of the people there were young ones, typically 20s to very early 30s & you could see they were all having a tremendous time. Like Judy says the older ones there were not the 'old biddy' types anyway, more 'looking good for your money'.

Everything was very relaxed I can't imagine anyone getting dirty looks just because they were having a good time. You just can't help meeting fun people here, everyone is so friendly.

I hope some younger people will also post in to reassure you but please relax & look forward, you will have a truly brilliant time. I think some of these negative reviewers have an axe to grind but I haven't worked out why. I hate it when these reviews worry those who are waiting to go there. I want everyone to have as grand a time as we did & part of that is the looking forward. All the best.

Methuen, MA
Level Contributor
471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

Secrets resorts attract honeymooners and anniversaries. If you go through these boards you will see the majority of posts are from people from 20-50. It is definitely an old folks home. That post you are referring to is the only one of that kind on the Trip Advisor site - I would suggest you just ignore it. You will have a great time and meet many others your age. For nightlife, while Secrets will be on the quiet side you will have a ball going into Playa and visiting the many bars and clubs there. It shouldn't be missed.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

Kajunkel, we'll be leaving shortly before you guys arrive at SERC. I was a little concerned by that trip report also as we are 27 and 29 and although we'll be at SERC for our honeymoon, we would still like to party a little at night. I hope this will be an option....or we'll be heading to PDC or Cancun for the nights! I heard there's a disco...doesn't anyone use it there?

We'll be at SERC from July 10th-17th. Anyone else in our age bracket, or any age bracket wanting to party at night going to be there at the same time?

I think I'm going to ignore that trip report!

Michelle

Methuen, MA
Level Contributor
471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

The trouble with NOt PROOFREADING - I just re-read my post - it should have not Not and old folks home - sorry

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
933 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

Thanks so much for easing my mind! We are looking forward to our trip!

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

Just returned from SERC. I am 25, my boyfriend is 24. We felt like there were tons of young people there, in their 20's and 30's. Although we may have been one of the youngest! Maybe it depends on the week you go, but when we were there it certainly didn't feel like we were at a senior citizen home.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

I disagree with most of you. SERC is lovely, but completely bland. No its not an old-folks home, but wealthy older Americans are their target demographic. There are no parties like they have at other resorts. The food is very Americanized and bland, the 'entertainment' is geared toward older American people.

Instead of just stating my opinion, here is a fact: Been to 4 other resorts besides SERC and each one had a pre-nightly-show crowd participation event that was always really fun, like Mr. Mexico, a dance contest, something different in general every night. At this place if they even have live entertainment it is a bore, and many nights, its just a movie for god's sake.

Furthermore, there is no disco that my wife or I found (almost every other resort has one for late night fun and dancing -- but I suppose most of you didn't notice because you were back in the room asleep by 11?), the activites and activities staff are much better at other resorts as well. Let's see, Yoga at SERC, or beach Olympics elsewhere?

Yes, there will be a lot of honeymooners. Saw tons of them. But that being said, these aren't people out for a ton of fun. They are looking for a comfortable room, room service, and a little pool time. If that's all that matters, Secrets is probably fine -- if you want to spend that much for those 3 amenitites.

After staying at many different resorts on the Rivera Maya I can't believe the fan base this place has. Iberostar Maya and Pairaiso Lindo are leaps and bounds better. For AI all adult fun, go to the Royal Hideaway. Like that reviewer said, if they wanted to go stay in the Ritz Carlton, they would have. I couldn't have agreed more. This place is so bland under the surface that I don't really see any reason to travel so far to go there. Might as well go to some AI in the states, because this definitely isn't Mexico, and it isn't geared toward the 20-30 something crowd.

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

I agree, nothing much to do at night, movies are fun, but not every single night. I was definitely not ready to be sleeping at 11:00PM but sometimes I felt like I had no choice.

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent topic senior citizen resort SERC

SERC "does" have a disco. It is called Desires.