We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

For anyone who has stayed in the Excellence Club level at Secrets Excellence Riviera, please advise what are the best rooms to request. I thought I read that all of them are oceanfront -- is that correct?

Do all rooms in the Excellence Club level have the inside and outside jacuzzis, or only the swim-out level on the first floor?

Also, are the buildings 4-story walk-ups or are they elevator buildings?

What is the appropriate dress for men in the evening at the non-casual restaurants -- are golf shirts appropriate or do men need better shirts in the upscale restaurants?

Has anyone seen specials on the spa services (other than the packages listed in the price list)?

How often (once a week, twice a week, or every day) and when do the shuttles from the resort go to Cancun for shopping during the day (as opposed to the evening trips into Cancun)? I assume they are round trip shuttles, or do you have to take a taxi back to the resort?

Calgary
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

I just got back and I would say there isn't a bad room in the whole place. We were in spa 4 and loved it. It was quiet which is what we were looking for.

There are elevators in each building.

The dress code doesn't seem well enforced. I saw lots of men wearing shorts and t-shirts to dinner. As long as you look presentable - they'll let you in. I think when we went to the French restaurant my husband wore a dressier shirt.

There is a 10% discount on spa services first thing in the morning (between 9 and 10am I think)

There is a Cancun shopping shuttle Mon/Wed/Fri and yes it goes both ways. There is also a shopping tour to Play Del Carmen on Tues/Thurs.

Hope this helps - we had a great time, it was everything we expected and more

We did run into the larval jellyfish while we were on the catamaran but they were just gross and didn't really do us any harm.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

Bigdog,

Windsurfdude took care of most of your questions. Like him, we also had a Spa room but I found on another thread that the Excellence Club is in bldgs 7 & 8. The Secrets website says they are all Oceanfront but some are not as close to the beach as others. I'm pretty sure the Excellence Club has jacuzzis on the balconies - I remember contemplating booking the Club for that purpose.

They were more lax on the dress code than we thought they would be. Only once did we see people turned away, they were wearing tank-style tshirts, shorts, and sandals. Male guests' clothing at dinner ranged from suits to 'hawaiian' shirts, with khaki's and a polo or button down being the average. Your golf shirts should be fine.

A note on excursion outside the resort - we found our travel rep invaluable for recommendations. He was in the lobby every day from 11-1.

Have a wonderful trip! Zib

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

Question about the shopping trip to Playa that was mentioned by windsurfingdude? Is there a charge for this trip and what time of day do they leave for Playa. I really want to go to Playa for some shopping and just hang out in town! I had not heard of this shopping trip to Playa from anyone else!?!?!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

They recently added the shuttle to Playa in addition to the shuttle to Cancun, but it looked like there was only one during the week. The shuttle schedules are posted at the bellman's post at the main entrance.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

Bigdog,

All Excellence club rooms are oceanfront but the pool is still between you and the ocean. Excellence club is in buildings 7A, 7B, and 8. The excellence club pool is in front of buildings 7B and 8 and it is heated. Much quieter at that pool all day and the water would be great in the cool season, but to warm to cool us off in April. No wim up bar in this pool either. We liked our building 7A, which puts you on a small tier of the main pool with a jacuzzi and hammocks at the end of this little section. You can swim under the bridge and be in the main pool with the swim up bar. Just depends how much peace and quiet vs. activity you want.

All excellence club rooms have jacuzzi's in your room and out on the balcony or patio. The third fllor rooms are "dive out" rather than swim out rooms. LOL

If you are celabrating a anniversary you will get some extra things in your room like a bottle of champaign, flowers, fruit basket, and a letter from the manager offering a 15% discount on all spa services. I think I read it's your anniversary, (wink).

I did not see the shuttle offered to Playa, but it's such a great town we just paid for a cab. Fun to walk the beach going one direction in the late afternoon, then walk back down 5th street in the other direction. 5th is closed to ped traffic and has many resturants, shops and bars that start hopping after dark. 5th also has a great look all light up after dark.

Only Bordeaux, Himitsu, and Portofino and maybe El Patio have the dress codes. All the other reseturants are casual and pretty much anything goes. We saw many people sent back to there room for long pants at these resturants, even though they had on a nice button down silk shirt with bermuda's.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

Thanks for all of the information.

Windsurfingdude - Were the shuttles into Cancun (3 times per week you said) for the mornings (like 9 to 12 or 1), or all day? Same with Playa del Carmen shuttle? I just saw the State Department warning about Cancun and was wondering if you saw any problem or heard from anyone else if they encountered any problem in Cancun?

I thought I read somewhere that they have bikes at the resort also to ride into town -- was that true when you were there?

MnDan - When you speak of walking along the beach one way in the late afternoon I assume you are speaking of walking the beach in Playa del Carmen, and not from Secrets to Playa which is quite a distance. I did read on one of the reviews that you can walk into Puerto Moreles by the beach, however. Did you also do that? Is there really anything to do or see in Puerto Moreles?

Thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful.

By the way, it really be our anniversary when we get there, and so thanks for the tip on the spa discounts. I thought the spa prices were a bit high, so I'm glad to hear that there may be a discount available. Do they also offer any discounts on other things like scuba for us anniversary types?

Just got my travel documents and read something about a $2 per day charge if you want to snorkel because you are in or near a protected reef. Do you know what that is about?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

The $2.00 charge is a donation to the national park preserve that is a long section of protected reef on both sides of Puerto Morelos. That why there are no motor sports allowed in the area.

You can walk south to Puerto Morelos, but if your not walking in the surf, I would wear sandels. Robino from this site got some blisters walking barefoot as the fine shell fragments just above the surf line can put tiny cuts in your feet. I believe it is about a 4 or 5 mile walk.

Puerto Morelos is a small little town that still has a Mexican feel to it. Not a whole lot to do there, but worth a trip to the main twon square where the shops are.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

We inquired about the spa discount for anniversary, but the concierge insisted there was no such thing. You might try to get some kind of proof (from agent maybe?) in case they tell you this, too. I know have seen it advertised somewhere on one of the online agents, but it's not on the Secrets site.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

To see the "options", go thru the booking process on Secrets' site. After you enter the passenger info, the next screen shows options. Hover over an option to see its description (just like the room descriptions).

Here's the exact text from their site's booking engine (which actually seems a lot like Apple's engine, resulting in identical pricing):

SECRETS EXCELLENCE ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE

Complimentary Anniversary Package! Bring along a copy of your Marriage Certificate and receive champagne and Fresh Fruits on Arrival, Breakfast in Bed, a Romantic dinner and 15% off at the Spa

Tim

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Club Rooms, Dress Code, Shuttle to Cancun

GeekCouple -

Thanks for the tip, but I when I hover over "Weddings and Anniversaries" on the website, it does not mention the 15% discount, but only a welcome letter each day (which some people have said includes the information about the 15% discount).

Did you book directly to get this package, or did you book through Apple Vacations? Our confirmation through Apple provides them with our anniversary date, but does specifically state "Anniversary Package". Does your confirmation from Apple specifically state that you have the "Anniversary Package"?

Have you already been to the resort, or are you going soon?

Bigdog