We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

This will be our second trip to the area and the last time we never left the resort. I'm sure we will take the shuttle one day to Puerto Morelos and wander around. But If we were going to spend one day just out to see the culture/sites, where should we go? I don't really want to be on a tour bus all day with tons of tourists. Can you get a private tour guide and driver? Should we visit ruins, water parks, go into a specific town, go to some cenotes? Anyone have suggestions?

minneapolis mn
Level Contributor
279 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

If you do the Xel -Ha Tulum tour it can be all inclusive and meals and drinks will be provided at Xel-Ha. If you booked your trip with a tour operator you can purchase the tour with them, otherwise there should be a tour person at your hotel to explain and sell you your trip. I only trust Lomas myself.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

jocon,

I think the Mayan tour sounds awesome and I know that my husband would love it, however the zip line and the rappeling sound a little scary to me. How high up are they and should I be nervous. Do you need any experience? Any extra info about this tour would be helpful. Thanks!

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

Jimsgirl...make sure you bring an extra pair of undies for

your zip line and rapelling tour since you will most likely pee in

your pants! YIKES!!!!!!!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

Skipdog, Thanks for the laugh! That is exactly what I was thinking and why I need more info before I decide on that tour. Maybe a some snorkeling at Xel-ha is more my speed.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

Definetly no zip line for me! I am afraid of high ladders so I doubt I am going to zip line. I would love to do a tour that was in an area that is true to the Mayan culture but which one is the best!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

Just my two cents, (which by now everyone knows I'm generally in for a least a nickel), but if your going to the ruins or Xelha, ect. I would arrange tranportation at the resort and get there before the tour buses do. It has been our experiance that everything is so much better before the crowds show up. See if another couple at the resort wants to share transportation cost and it won't even cost any more. The larger the attraction, the more important it is to get there early.

NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: What is the best site or area to visit while in Mexico?

So it appears that the best options have been the altournative tour, xelha, Playa del Carmen or the Tulum ruins.

Is it safe to say that the altournative tours are more action filled and adventurous? Which one do you reccommend?

What do you actually do at Xelha aside from snorkel? My fiance doesn't swim well - or the waters where you snorkel calm?

Playa del Carmen sounds like a good place for shopping and partying a little bit (also a nice beach?)?

And the Tulum ruins are primarily for sight seeing?

Is this accurate? Any info. would be greatly appreciated because we are going for our honeymoon in Aug for seven days and I would like to plan 1 or 2 day trips.

Thanks!