We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for excursions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for excursions

Is it a good practice to pay for excursions with a credit card? I want to go to the Croco Zoo or a monkey sanctuary. Also, may I pay for taxi with US cash?

10 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for excursions

I guess it would depend on where you use the card, Many issuers have protection if the card is used fraudently. I brought cash for my larger expenses, but had my card just in case. Also, depending on the issuer, you may have to pay foreign transactions fees, so be prepared for that. Most cards should be notified if you will be using the card out of the country, notify them of your travel plans. You don't want to have it frozen when you are in another country. Each bank has it's own requirements, so check before you go.

Edited: 12:33 am, November 22, 2017
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,873 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for excursions

I avoid using the card whenever possible and try to only use it for emergencies. The taxi will accept your US dollars but will often give you a horrible rate of exchange so you can end up paying almost double for your taxi fare. It pays to use pesos for everything.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for excursions

Roberts post was spot on. Crococun doesnt need to be booked through a company. Just take your cab there. One thing to consider is getting Pesos in the US before you go. Many people send them. If you have a Wells Fargo close they will do it for a small fee and good exchange even if you are not a client.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for excursions

Forgot to mention. If you need to use a credit card you can book on line from one of the sites with Paypal. The transfer companies take it so you could avoid giving anyone your credit card.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for excursions

Agree with Robert, and only use my credit card for "big ticket" items like rental car and hotel, and once for an expensive meal (over $120 9 years ago) on Isla Mujeres.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,873 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for excursions

Agree with the others. No reason to pay for Crococun in advance. I pay as little in advance as possible because you never know when your plans may change due to weather or other reasons.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for excursions

Thank you for this great advice. I will need to take a taxi from my hotel to the Zoo. Is it easy to get a taxi after touring the zoo?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,653 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for excursions

Be sure and alert your bank ahead of time that you may be using your credit card and/or ATM in Mexico

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for excursions

Gail - Your taxi will be happy to wait for you at no cost other than the return fare most times. If not, the zoo will call you one and it will be there in 2 minutes if there is not one waiting outside.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for excursions

Thank you all! Your advice is priceless!

Reply to: Paying for excursions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted