We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incident next to ERC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Incident next to ERC

Can anyone pass along any news about what appears to be two deceased individuals next to the ERC club section beach? From what I'm hearing there's a police presence on scene.

106 replies to this topic
Chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incident next to ERC

I read on a FaceBook page that it was locals, drug related and there was shooting on the beach around 10:15 this morning. Two dead bodies at the edge of the Club Beach. Would love more details if anyone is there. We go in 55 days.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Incident next to ERC

We were at SSS 5 gunshots on the beach in a the perferred club section on Tuesday around 130 scary stuff we got the next flight home!! Manager finally admitted to us it was drug related however tried to cover it up. Bullet hole in the beach bar railing which was moved overnight and concealed

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,833 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incident next to ERC

Only thing I have seen today is the assasination of a taxi driver near the beach in PM. Often difficult to find late breaking news here.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incident next to ERC

You would think that the drug cartels would stay away from the tourist areas. I can see where an event like this and possibly others could have people rethink going to the area.

Maine
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incident next to ERC

I am so sickened by this. My heart breaks for all the wonderful locals that have to live this nightmare while trying to make a living and protecting their families.

I can't believe this rot has crept into PoMo. I hope they can get a handle on it.

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
253 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incident next to ERC

Well, yes, the cartels are fighting for control in Q.Roo. You can read in this article that the murder rate in this area has jumped 500% over last year. https://www.elsoldezacatecas.com.mx/mexico/j…

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Incident next to ERC

My sister is currently at the resort and was sitting on the Club beach when the gunfire broke out around 10:15 this morning, about 50 yards from where she was. She saw the "muzzle flashes" of the gunfire before she and her hubby hightailed it off the beach. One confirmed deceased per the police (not anyone from the resort). A small section of the beach (not any of the ERC beach, but just adjacent) was shut down until about 12:30 when the police activity wrapped up.

Vermont
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incident next to ERC

Just awful. It used to be that the resorts were considered impeccably safe - especially those outside of Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. Times have certainly changed.

Edited: 5:28 pm, November 16, 2017
Listowel, Ontario...
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Incident next to ERC

Are there two separate events being mentioned? Post #2 is referencing SSS and an event Tuesday? This post is mentioning an event today at ERC? Does anyone know details about the event at SSS?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Incident next to ERC

We are at Secrets Playa Mujares and there was a shooting here yesterday as well. So from what I can tell that is three so far this week in Cancun....SSS SPM and now ERM. The shooting at SPM was between two rival “cigar guys”. I heard ERM was the same scenario..not sure about SSS....

All I know for sure is at SPM yesterday, the cigar guy was running down the beach shooting back towards other cigar guys right over our heads. Very scary stuff. Not sure we’ll be coming back to the Cancun area anytime soon

Edited: 5:47 pm, November 16, 2017
Reply to: Incident next to ERC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted