We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Puerto Morelos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
Crime in Puerto Morelos?

Hi there,

I was wondering how things were looking in the Puerto Morelos area. I know that there has been an increase of murders in Cancun. If you were there recently, like the last month, I would appreciate your insights. We are going there this month, but staying at a VRBO. Thanks.

105 replies to this topic
Lk Stevens Wa
Level Contributor
805 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

We returned a week or so ago. If there is elevated crime in the area, we didn't see it, or feel any vib. No sign what so ever in and around town. Laid back lifestyle. We of course take the usual precautions as we would at home. I'm way more on edge walking Seattle at night than PoMo.

2. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, November 15, 2017
Edited: 4:35 pm, November 15, 2017

3. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

Return, do you have a link to any news article(s) that describe the incident?

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

Hard to believe there would be nothing on line about a shots fired incedent at a resort in the area based on the media attention to the area. I can find nothing on line about this. If this happened it should be known to potential visitors but without any information I would be skeptical. I am not saying it did not happen, I have no idea. I just think the sourse of that info needs to be out before making it a concern.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
634 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

I am here at Secrets Silversands. I did not witness the incident, but have heard from people who did. It is very strange, like nothing happened at all. I would not fault anyone here denying the event, based on evidence.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

I will disregard the post until I see some credible report of it.

Maine
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

Dugfir- Google Yucatan Times. Read :Puerto Morelos residents. The recent shooting is not so far fetched. Come to your own conclusions. .

9. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Puerto Morelos?

bakescakes -

I did the search. There are some articles about "crime" (where isn't there?) but I cannot find anything related to a specific incident at the Secrets Silversands or any other resort. I remain skeptical...

Reply to: Crime in Puerto Morelos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted