We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting to me

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City
Level Contributor
356 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting to me

I know the negative reports on Secrets have been discussed before. It is just interesting to me that the majority of negative responders don't include their email addresses while several of the positive responders do.

I have high expectations for this resort and I accept that a few things won't meet my expectations, but sometimes I wonder if these people even travelled to secrets.

I've read conflicting reports about resorts before and been pleased to find when I arrived that my trip was completely wonderful.

Just my thoughts on the recent posts!

Nicolle

Quad Cities,IA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting to me

Hi Nicolle,

It seems to me lately for every postive review there is a negative one to follow. The people that are posting the negative reviews seem like they are extremly hard to please no matter were they stay.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting to me

I don't quite understand - do you want to email people about their reviews? If you would like to email me about mine, please provide your address here and I will respond.

Dave

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting to me

The problem with the negative reviews is that they are not always helpful to those of us planning our trips. They tend to just say all negative and then not really comment on anything else or mention what they did like about the resort. Yes, I would like to know if there are certain foods to avoid or that I need to watch my stuff because of theft in certain areas. I know that service can be inconsistent. No one will ever agree on the quality or taste of the food so that is just a toss up on who to believe on the food part. I know about the seagrass on the beach I have learned all these things from the reviews and by reading this forum and that is why I read every review and listen to everyone on the forum. But most of the negative reviews are just nothing but negative. I wish the reviewer would be more informtative about everything and not just what went wrong on your vacation. I realize that having something stolen would put a damper on your vacation but everone has to know that this could happen at any hotel anywhere all over the country. I would assume that most of the negative posters just have not had alot of experience with all inclusive vacations or have not travelled outside of the U.S. alot. I'm sure some people are easier to please than others and everyone has different expectations therefore it is hard to compare your experience with someone else's. I've read many of the other forums from most of the high rated resorts in Mexico and they all have the same type reviews. Some people love it and some people hate it and there are very few in between! Guess if you had a excellent time you just want to make it all sound excellent and if you had a bad time you just want to make it all negative. Just take what information you can use and leave the rest behind!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting to me

While I understand why you only want to hear "good" things

about the resort you have chosen to spend your hard earned

money at - IF you did get sick and IF you got your stuff stolen...you would be saying...why oh why didn't somebody

warn us on the forum.

Also...people who put their email addresses out on a website

are opening themselves up for spam, viruses, and who knows

what else is lurking out there.

People have opinions...that is why we read this info.

By the way...I am NOT the negative poster if you think that

is why I am saying this.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
356 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting to me

I haven't posted much on this board although I read it regularly and I don't know that I'll be posting anymore.

I suppose I should have clarified myself a little better in my post. There are a couple of the negative reviews that I had questions about and would like to have been able to ask questions.

Webkatz-thanks for the offer, but I've read enough of the posts on the board to understand your opinion and your review of this resort. I appreciate your thoughts and have enjoyed looking at your website.

I totally understand that everyone has differing opinions and I have had bad experiences on trips before. I guess I have just never let the bad experiences turn my entire trip into something negative. I had a horrible experience in Cancun once that put my safety at risk, but I don't warn people away from Cancun because of it and I think some people would.

At any resort in any location you are at risk for theft, bad service, food poisoning etc. If I saw a resort reviewed only negatively than yes I might steer away from that resort, but on this resort I just take the bad with the good and know that my trip will likely be what I make of it. I've stayed at some amazing places, but none of them have ever been absolutely perfect!!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting to me

Glad you liked our site. Have a good trip!

Dave

Ontario
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting to me

I just want to say I do not understand alot of the negative reviews that have been posted about SERC. My husband and I are very picky people and quick to complain when we are unhappy with something. However, in saying that I was really nervous to go to SERC but it was unbelievable!!! My husband was even surprised that I could not come up with one negative comment.

Everyone I met while at SERC was also very pleased with their stay, the beach, the food, pools and entertaintment. We probably met and spoke to approx 100 people and everyone was thrilled that they had picked SERC. Many of the guests at the resort were commenting on the negative reviews on tripadvisor - we all said we were glad that we didn't listen to them!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting to me

Don;t be so quick to dismiss the critical reviews, maby they make a valid point. Especially if the same complaint is repeated by other previous guests.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting to me

Nicolle-Take what you need from the negative reviews and use the information as necessary! Just note that over the past few months on this forum I have not heard much negative posts on the forum itself. Most of the people on here have either gone and come back and are nice enough to share their positive experience with all of the rest of us that are planning their trips. I know that some of the people may have had a bad experience at SERC and just don't want to discuss anything on this forum. I'm sure if you have done the all inclusive thing in Mexico then you kind of know what to expect and what type of things may not be perfect. Everyone seems to have an opinion on this forum but for the most part it is pretty postiive! If you have not checked out my webpage, you may find it helpful for future reference.

http://home.earthlink.net/~shell_angel/secrets/

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Minnesota
Level Contributor
831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting to me

It is interesting that no one having negitive feelings about the resort has voiced there opinion within the forum. Many people have come back with great positive information, but some of us would love to ask questions with regard to the negitive posts.

I leave Saturday, and will be back here as many of you were kind enough to do, to report the good and the bad. Just a warning though, if I am injured in a fall due to wet concrete at the pool, I will not give the resort a bad mark in the pool catagory. If I decide not to put valuables in my safe and they are missing, I will not report negitive feedback in the rooms catagory. I just can't blame the resort for my failing to take respnsibility for my own actions. Many of the bad reviews were simply guests disregarding the clear advise of the resort. They serve as a great reminder to us all, and I appreciate them none the less. Food will always be a personal taste issue, so I could only go by the majority of reviews in that regard.

Hope some of the people that have had a negitive experience put up a post!