We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for Tourists

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cleveland
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safety for Tourists

My husband is very concerned about tourists safety in Mexico (Cancun, Rivera Maya, Puerto Morelos). Is this an issue at this time? Thinking about visiting an all inclusive resort in these areas.

107 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for Tourists

Other than the unfortunate shooting at Playa last month, its been very quiet

Many of us rent long term (on condos/not in gated resorts) and we feel safe

I would read all the posts/threads for the next few weeks - what research has your husband done??

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for Tourists

I agree . . . this region is safer than many USA cities. Just stayed in Puerto Morelos a few weeks ago - delightful town! :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for Tourists

There is no beef with any tourists here by anyone that I can see or heard of. What exactly is your husbands concern?

Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for Tourists

My wife put it to me this way : tourista is the golden egg for the residents of this area. They would never allow any bad mojo/publicity to happen to the "main chance" most, if not all citizens of Riv Maya pay their rent with.

peace

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for Tourists

it always amazes me to read about how many people are fearful of Mexico. I have been living and working part time in Mexico for more than 10 years and I've traveled all around the country from the Yucatán to the Central Highlands, The southern Pacific coast and Baja. I have never had any problems.

it seems there is a concerted effort among American and British news media outlets to paint Mexico like Tarantino film Full of gun battles and headless body is all over the streets. sorry or happy to disprove such silliness- I guess it it is profitable to keep people in fear.

As long as you guys are not involved in the illegal drug trade in some capacity or another the worst that will happen to you and your husband will be a hangover from mixing red wine with Mescal. Yes, that can be painful!

PS, as long as you use the normal precautions you already take where you live regarding theft, locking doors , not having money hanging out of your pockets, while passed out and drunk on the street, etc. you will be fine.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for Tourists

We have visited the area 3 times and have never felt threatened in the slightest. We have taken public transport, dined with the locals, ventured off the beaten path, enjoyed massages under huts naked on the beach. Never a worry. Go enjoy the culture, ask questions; we love this beautiful part of the world and the kind people we have met. And as stated above, common sense stuff...

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety for Tourists

You won't even really be in Mexico if you stay in an all inclusive. But if you stay in town (where we all live normal lives) you just take normal precautions as you would anywhere.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,851 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety for Tourists

As previously said, I have lived here for years and never really felt threatened. Of course like any area it does have its crime and the area does have its share of drug cartel violence. In the case of the incident at the Blue Parrot incident where tourists did become involved but this is rare. Playa has had more drug-related hits since then but not in tourist areas so no reason to worry.

It has been reported in local media this week that local officials have become concerned that more and more businesses are shutting down rather than pay the so-called protection fees imposed by the cartels. These can be very high but again not really a safety concern to The Tourist.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety for Tourists

The cops just shot 2 men on the beach in front of excellence and dreams. We sprinted to our rooms because we heard gunfire and had no idea what was happening. People can tell you it’s safe here but I’ll say it’s not after our experience today.

Chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety for Tourists

Just heard about this. Makes me a bit concerned for our January trip.

Reply to: Safety for Tourists
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted