We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

Which Bang Tao Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

We will be in Bang Tao in just 12 days. Should we book with Phuket Shuttle or just wait till we arrive and get a metered taxi? It seems quite close to airport so thinking cheaper by taxi for just the two of us. We arrive at 6pm.Fingers crossed as our daughter and grandkids till havent got confirmation on flights there. They were booked with Air Australia!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

Hi,

If theres only 2 of you then metered taxi is a good idea, from memory it will be about half hour ride & about 350-400Baht,

Have a great trip

Vinny

Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

thanks txtkitten I think thats what we will do. Also do you know anything about bang tao. Are there lots of restaurants nearby the Sunwing Resort? If you do have any infor it would be great to hear about. Counting down now. We just love Phuket and are staying at the Sunwing mainly because we will be with our grandkids who live in Qld.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

Sorry cant give you much info on Bang Tao, only that we got married there last year on the beach. I'm sure somone will be able to help you out, we stayed in Kamala which is just down the road from Bang Tao.

have a great trip & stay safe.

Vinny

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

hi,

get a metered taxi from outside the airport and get his phone number for when you want picking back up,the taxi's are expensive once your in Bang Tao because it's a bit isolated they charge high fares.We stayed at the Amora which is a bit up from you and we found nothing was in walking distance,it's a little better where you are staying it's a nice hotel but don't expect dozens of restaurants and bars, Bang Tao is a big big quiet beach resort,most restaurants will come and pick you up and return you to your hotel free just to get your buisness we dinned in some spectacular ones in the surrounding hills and and we were surprised at the low prices.Just a short distance south by taxi is beautiful Surin beach and then Kamala beach both have a lot more choice of everything but without the bustling tourist crowds like Patong, definatley worth a look seeing your so close

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

There's enough restaurants on Bang Tao beach, as long as you are prepared to walk...

One night we rode mountain bikes along the beach but it wasn't that successful. You'd get a good run for 100 metres or so, then sink into the sand for the next 100 metres. You could get to different beach sections indirectly along made roads, but our bikes didn't have lights, so along the beach was safer.

Mostly we gorged ourselves on free entrees and cocktails at our hotel at dinner time, so didn't eat out all that much. A'Loma was alright for a cheap feed, and there was another a few south of A'Loma that wasn't bad. Plenty of info on TA in this forum is you search, eg

tripadvisor.com/…30434336

mentions lots of little places in a town a km away ??? (maybe talking about Surin), and there's a link to a pictorial list of restaurants, but I think it may be a little outdated.

We found the much lauded Lotus to be a big disappointment, overpriced and underwhelming, but it could have been a bad night for them.

Edited: 5:21 am, February 20, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

when you say get a metered taxi outside the airport.. how far do we walk to find them?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

Hey Joolz,

When you exit the airport, walking past all the "taxi drivers" trying to get you to go in there car, turn right & walk approx 40-50 meters, you will see a stand, that has "taxi stand" on a sign, see them & they will tell you exact price to your location.

Have a safe trip

Vinny

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

thank you :-)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

Hi we stayed at sunwing last year and they had a complimentary shuttle. I think on their website it was 500 baht but they included it in for free once I asked.

The Sunwing is fantastic.

We ate all our meals there for 6 days ( children eat free and breakfast is included) and the total cost was $397 nz total! Which included many cocktails!

There are some places to eat along the beach if you go for a stroll.

Massages on the beach right outside the hotel are cheaper than anywhere else along the beach. Also the market ( only 2 days a week ) is worth a visit. The highlight though is Lucky the elephant who walks along the beach about 10 am every morning and for 100 baht the kids can spend some one on one time with him.

This is my first ever post on TA - just had to post as I love this place so much !

Have fun

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket Shuttle or just get a taxi at airport to go Bang Tao?

Hi we stayed at sunwing last year and they had a complimentary shuttle. I think on their website it was 500 baht but they included it in for free once I asked.

The Sunwing is fantastic.

We ate all our meals there for 6 days ( children eat free and breakfast is included) and the total cost was $397 nz total! Which included many cocktails!

There are some places to eat along the beach if you go for a stroll.

Massages on the beach right outside the hotel are cheaper than anywhere else along the beach. Also the market ( only 2 days a week ) is worth a visit. The highlight though is Lucky the elephant who walks along the beach about 10 am every morning and for 100 baht the kids can spend some one on one time with him.

This is my first ever post on TA - just had to post as I love this place so much !

Have fun

Get answers to your questions about Bang Tao Beach