We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

Gorizia, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

Planning a mammoth road trip next year in July (Route 66): we'd like to finish the journey by driving from LA up to SF. Considering we stayed in Monterey last year, when we travelled to San Francisco from Yosemite, we'd love to know a great place to stay on the drive from LA along Highway 1 to S. Francisco. I've heard good things about Santa Barbara, but it seems too close to LA for it to be a night stop. Thanks.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

Maybe try Cambria's Moonstone beach. Lovely. If you need more info for your R66 trip you also can ask the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,095 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

Cambria or Pismo Beach would be my choices. San Luis Obispo is nice too, but it is inland, so that is a negative for me. On the otherhand, it is a college town with quite a bit going on - restaurants, lively downtown, etc. but I see this will be July when school is not in session, so SLO will be pretty quiet without all the students. If it happens to be a Thursday night though, they have a great farmers market in SLO.

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

If you decide on Pismo, The SeaCrest Oceanfront Resort is very nice. It is reasonably priced, there is a great pool there, 3 jacuzzis and breakfast is included with your room.

We have enjoyed two great stays there! www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for this area. :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,903 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

Cambria is the most logical midway stop between LA and SF before you hit the slow, arduous Big Sur drive. Cambria to SF is approx. a 6 hour drive WITHOUT stops. From Santa Barbara it would be 8 1/2 hours WITHOUT stops!!!

Cambria lodging: Moonstone Landing, Fog Catcher Inn, Pelican Inn, Sand Pebbles Inn, Best Western Fireside Inn

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

There is also a nice Bed and Breakfast Inn in Cambria called The Blue Whale Inn on Moonstone Beach Drive. :)

6. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco: good stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, September 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Luis Obispo County