We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula

Hi, We are fairly new residents of Michigan and are enjoying exploring the state.

This summer we will spend a week in a cabin outside in Harbor Springs, During the week we'd like to make a day trip to attractions in the UP. And we'll do a separate day trip to Mackinac Island.

Any recommendations on what the best sites are to squeeze into a 1 day trip on the Upper Peninsula?

Thanks!

Jayne

4 replies to this topic
Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula

A day trip to the U.P might not get you very far up North. How far would you be willing drive round trip? Tahquamenon falls is about 2.5 hours (one way) from Harbor Springs.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula

i'm thinkin' spend a coupla days in harbor springs, then a week in the U.P.

but that's just me.

to the O.P., i don't wanna sound harsh, but you'll be wasting your time going up to the yoop for 1 day... either save it for another trip, or flip things around and spend the bulk of your time in the yoop....

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula

On your way to Mackinac Island or the UP you could take a road there called "The Tunnel of Trees" It is just a bit North of Harbor Springs and just beautiful.

upnorthmichigan.com/Drives/tunneltrees.htm

I think the trip to the UP to see the Tahquamenon Falls would be worth it. It is the 2nd largest falls East of the Mississippi.

You can hear the falls before you see it.

Just a bit from the Falls is the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.

Here is a link to the Newberry Tourism web site with information about the Falls and other attractions.

www.newberrytourism.com/index.php?page=Home

Edited: 3:11 am, March 18, 2014
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula

Many of us would like to flip the timing around on your trip, but I wouldn't say it is a waste of time to do a long day trip up to the U.P.! I think it'll end up whetting your appetite for a longer stay in the future now that you're living here.

I would do a loop that includes a drive along US 2 as it hugs the Lk. Michigan shoreline to either on your way up or back. It is a beautiful, scenic drive with plenty of areas to pull off and enjoy the sandy beach and gorgeous lake. I'd also recommend a drive through Seney National Wildlife Refuge in one direction or the other.

I would choose between heading to the Munising area for Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore or Tahquamenon Falls State Park. Munising is maybe 3 hours each way from Harbor Springs and Tahq Falls is maybe 2.5 hours each way.

They are both very beautiful and unique to the U.P. You can't do both in a day unless you do a very very long day of driving, but either would make for an excellent destination.

If you happen to be near the Straights area as it gets dark (meaning you still have a pretty long drive back to Harbor Springs and watch for deer as you drive after dark) do make a stop at the Headlands Dark Sky Park, especially if the moon is in a smaller phase. You can look up what's happening in the night sky and it is a real treat to see the heavens in real darkness.

Reply to: Michigan Summer trip -Harbor Springs to Upper Pennisula
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay Harbor