We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

We have persuaded our four children/partners and 5 grandchildren to join us for a long weekend at the beginning of May. Ostensibly it's to celebrate 2x40 and 1x70 birthday but really just to enjoy each others country in a lovely place that can hold us all.

One lot are flying over from France to Manchester, another lot are driving from Glasgow and the remainder are travelling from London.

Can somone advise on best route to drive to Peak Forest, please?

More difficult, perhaps and activity for the Saturday for such a disparate group - 2 active 60-70s, 8x30-40s, and children 2,3,4,6 and 10. And two make it more difficult, there are three hyper-active males, one who was until he wrecked his ankle and can't walk far and one pregnancy.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions as though I'm originally a mancunian and loved the peaks I haven't been back for at least 40 years.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

The first question that springs to mind is why on earth did you pick Peak Forest ?! It is in the middle of no-where and not a quick journey from either London or Glasgow (or is that the attraction !).

However, on the assumpton that it is already booked, here are a few suggestions.

LONDON TO PF - Google maps suggests M1 to Junction 29, then A617 to Chesterfield and A619 / A623 to PF. I would agree with them as it is fairly simple and avoids the congestion on the A6 (which would be the other route through the Peak District).

GLASGOW TO PF - M6, M61, M60 to Junction 1, then through Stockport to the A6, then A623 to PF.

MCR AIRPORT TO PF - M56 & M60 to Junction 1, then through Stockport to the A6, then A623 to PF. Alternatively there is also a bus (199) that runs twice an hour from the airport to Chapel-en-le-Frith and Buxton, which are the closest towns to PF.

In terms of what to visit that would interest the whole party, try Castleton as this has caves, a ruined Castle, little shops etc. Buxton, Bakewell and Chatsworth are also contenders but unlikely to appeal to the entire party. Cycle Hire along part of the old Bakewell to Buxton Railway line or around Derwent Reservoir, but perhaps not for the pregnant hyperactive male !

Keeping the children amused might also be a challenge - if it helps there is a steam railway and also a tramway museum near Matlock, plus a cable car to the Heights of Abraham at Matlock Bath.

Hope this helps

P-t-B

The nearest town is Buxton

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

Many thanks for your helpful comments.

Why Peak Forest? It was a case of finding a house that could accommodate us all and was a 3-4 hour driving distance of everyone. As that weekend also seems to be the whole of Europe's half-term weekend, places were disappearing before my eyes! I was spending more hours searching, shortlisting and negotiating (with the daughters) than the actually time we'd spend there! I ws beginning to get desperate.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

Strange, half term week in the UK would be at the end of May, not at the start, although there is the May Day holiday weekend to contend with then.

P-t-B

Essex
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

I suggest the Tramway Museum at Crich (I see Phil has already mentioned it).

Tons there for everyone to enjoy the 'non walkers' can spend all day riding up and down on different trams with the kids and there is lots else to do and see:

http://www.tramway.co.uk/

The Heights of Abraham (also mentioned) are another good choice with things to do for all ages:

http://www.heightsofabraham.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

Many thanks for the info and websites. They look ipromising.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

Agree with the first post totally.Tip for the future ,book well ahead!.We book all our holidays 12 months in advance,that way we get exactly what we want not what is left.Can't believe you are all making such big and complicated efforts to get to Peak Forest.

On the positive side,there is nothing wrong with Peak Forest,just nothing special but you do have a decent food pub there,The Devonshire.Just watch for the speed traps on that road through the village.You are within reasonable distance to visit lots of lovely villages and see some lovely scenery.

.Castleton,Dovedale,Bakewell,the Monsal Trail for cycling/walking,Chatsworth which has something for the whole family including a childrens farm,good farm shop,lovely river walk and of course the stately home itself.

Hope you have a great time

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

Many thanks, Chrissy, for being a little encouraging! I'd begun to think I'd really messed up. I'd love to book up well in advance but our children's jobs make this impossible - as well as co-ordinating with Swiss school's half-term.

Your suggestions are very helpful - especially about the pub. I really don't want us (me) to have to cook for all the meals but we all really enjoy good food.

If nothing else, the company will be good and the children will enjoy catching up with their cousins.

Again many thanks.

8. Re: Suggestions that will enable ages 3-70 to enjoy weekend toge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, May 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Peak District