We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

If you are planning to visit the Camargue, you may want to check out the article in the August 21, 2013 Dining section of the New York Times, entitled, "The Braising of the Bulls." It features two wonderful restaurants that are well known for their bull-meat dishes, and trust me, both are TRUELY wonderful!!! Both are especially highly regarded for their Daube de Taureau, a traditional Provencal stew made with the meat of boars that are born and raised in the Camargue, as well as other Taureau de Camargue dishes.

The restaurants mentioned are:

La Chassagnette - 12 K from the center of Arles, on Rt. D36, heading toward the Salin de

Giraud

L'Estrambord - a "no-frills" restaurant near Le Sambuc

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
192 Reviews
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
La Chassagnette
La Chassagnette
429 Reviews
Arles, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
L'Estrambord
L'Estrambord
140 Reviews
Arles, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

La Chassagnette is wonderful (did Jean-Luc give up his Atelier restaurant in Arles and re-open this, or is it another owner?). Haven't been to the other one, but is is bull or boar (I like them both! I assume bull if it's called Daube de Taureau)?.

This is my favorite Camargue resto: http://www.restaurantlatelline.fr/

Mentioned in this post
La Chassagnette
La Chassagnette
429 Reviews
Arles, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

The new chef' is Armand Arnal, and as far as I can tell Jean-Luc Rabanel has been in Arles since 2006, at his own restaurant, l"Atelier Jean-Luc Rabanel - located at 7 rue des Carmes. It is highly rated ( 2 Michelin stars )

Thanks for your recommendation regarding your favorite Camargue restaurant - will check it out. What are your favorite dishes?

Mentioned in this post
Jean-Luc Rabanel
Jean-Luc Rabanel
648 Reviews
Arles, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Cheval-Blanc, France
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

"Daube de Taureau, a traditional Provencal stew made with the meat of boars "

It's made from the meat of the bull, never boar, and normally served in winter.

Bon ap

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

Hi, Alpilles Gal. La Tellinne has never had a menu when I've been there. They serve whatever monsieur has caught that morning, so my favorite dishes have always been whatever they serve up. Last time it was a fall menu -entré of tellines with aïoli, then fresh eel roasted over a wood fire ( in view of the guests - he literally roasts the stuff right there in the tiny room you're sitting in) with puréed potiron and a salade, crême brulée for dessert. It's very intimate and incredibly tasty and appealing.

5. Re: NY Times article featuring 2 restaurants in the Camargue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, July 15, 2015