We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broken Bertie

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Broken Bertie

I broke my ankle this week...slipped on ice and down I went. SNAP went the ankle. Part of my ankle is not where it is suppposed to be an there is a fracture down my right foot. I go see the orthopaedic surgeon on Monday. FUN TIMES!

So, which resort will be best for my recovery? I've been to Brisas and I think a ground level room close to everything would be OK. The shower there would be really hard for me - I had a hard time last year when I had full use of all my body parts. LOL

One thing is for sure. I am happy we haven't booked anything for this year. I would be really upset if I had to cancel.

Anyway, I'm bored and just wanting to whine . Thanks for reading! :)

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broken Bertie

Great attitude, Bertie!

Going with plan "B" Way to Go!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broken Bertie

Sorry to hear of your fall, Bertie. I do hope that it won't be too long before you are sorted and able to jet off to Cuba.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broken Bertie

caracol has disability units. don't know if brisas has. send email and see. reservas@caracol.stl.tur

brisas is the same reservas etc.

carol e

good luck on the ankle!!

Edited: 11:24 am, February 09, 2013
COTU
Level Contributor
177 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broken Bertie

Know how you feel. I fractured my Tibial Plateau the 1st day at Brisas Guardalavaca made the best of the week and when the Doc said I could walk again(6 long months later) We headed right back to Cuba for a week of recovery. I would suggest the Caracol.

Happy recovery :)

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broken Bertie

So sorry to hear about your bad luck!!

After check out last year at the ILA we were allowed to use a room to shower and change. It was handicap friendly...you could drive a wheel chair through the room and right under the shower head in the bathroom. It was a ground floor unit.

This resort has elevators too.

Cheers

Camaguey
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Broken Bertie

Brisas has dissability rooms too. You can ask comerc@brisas.stl.tur.cu

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broken Bertie

Once upon a time I broke my foot and had a walking cast on it for some time. I found baths easier than showers.......just kept that leg up on the rim of the tub. Of course, not being able to swim would be a bummer......

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broken Bertie

Maybe someone will hold his leg up for him...kind of awkward at the swim up bar I bet!

Good conversation starter!!

Cheers

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broken Bertie

I was at PCV in Holguin a week ago and a young girl slipped off the edge of a path the afternoon she arrived and snapped her ankle. She said she was taken by ambulance to a clinic close by and received excellent care.

She was back at the hotel 2 hours later in a cast and wheelchair. This is so easy to do and she admitted her flip flop sandles may have been part of the reason she went over on her ankle.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broken Bertie

You will most likely have to move around on crutches for a couple of weeks.

After you will get a cast you can walk with and you should not have to much trouble getting around. The only problem will be stairs. Your doctor will tell you when you are ready to go to Cuba. The good thing will be that you will be out of March break and pay less for the trip, the bad part will be that you will sweat inside the cast because of the heat in Cuba. Take some garbage bags with you, which you can wrap around the cast and at least you can sit on the stairs of the swimming pool. I would stay away from the ocean, because if you get sand or salt water inside the cast then it will become very uncomfortable after a while. If the doctor gives you a half-cast which is removable, you would have mastered this problem too. Hang in there !!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a lucky guy.....you could have also broken your neck falling on the ice and this would be much more severe ! There is always a good thing to be found, so stay positive and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia