We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracol gardeners!

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Caracol gardeners!

if you're a gardener, have a look at the garden that is being developed near the kitchen. It's quite inovative. I bring seeds and small equipment for the staff because it supplements their diet. and many of them have home gardens which they share produce from for their familie and neighbours. if you'd like to help, p mail me. carol e.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Caracol gardeners!

thanks eeefarm. looked at san miguel and it is a beautiful area, senor radar, from the info I see, except for the sewage pollution from cities etc. much of this could be solved by the proper use of plants cleaning the water. I look at my area in the kawarthas and see the fertilizer discharge run off from farm plantings. it's easy to spot from the froth. where are the cubans to get their seeds from if not from their own plantings? I look at asiatic lilies and the asiatic beetles, japanese beatles, loosestrife and see they were all introduced to canada by businesses. I've never in over 30 years or so have propagated disease from my plants. I also look at the pineapples we eat.. cloned and gmo'd. tomatoes that you can bounce from various countries to canada,hormoginized milk, meat and eggs. I have a difficult time with corporations.. especially those who want to patent all genomes for profit.. including my genes. carol e.

Edited: 9:24 pm, January 14, 2013
Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Caracol gardeners!

This is not the tread to debate GMO or organic or water polishing.

Don't take plants or their parts into Cuban unless you have authorization.

It is on their customs site.

Case closed move on.

www.aduana.co.cu/index.php…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Caracol gardeners!

Question: Is it legal to bring seeds into Cuba, for use in private home vegetable gardens?

Answer: Aduana General de la República de Cuba (General Customs of the Republic of Cuba) has a website containing information on Customs Declarations, Articles that can be brought into the country by visitors, Articles that are prohibited from entering the country, Articles and Products that can enter the country under certain requirements, Export Duties, etc. Known as AduaCuba and located at www.aduana.co.cu, it is available in both Spanish and English, although the English section is not as comprehensive.

According to the website, articles that need authorization for importation into Cuba include the following:

Specimens of flora and fauna or their remains, in any form, according to the regulations of health and veterinary authorities.

Live animals, plants and their parts and products of animal and vegetable origin whether processed or not, are all subject to inspection and authorization by Veterinary and Plan Health authorities.

Species that are protected under the Convention in International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, must possess a license issued by the Competent Authority (CITES permit).

Seeds come under at least some of the above categories. However, to obtain a more concise clarification on any regulation of Cuban Customs, or solicit a consultation, or even lodge a complaint or claim, you can do so via three channels.

From within the country:

Contact their Oficinas de Atención Público (Public Service Offices) at any Customs Unit

Call Cuban Customs at (537) 883-7575 or (537) 883-8282

From outside the country:

Send an email to publico@agr.aduana.cu

The following is the contact information for the Oficina Nacional de Hidrografia y Geodesia (ONHG):

Oficina Nacional de Hidrografia y Geodesia (ONHG)

Avenida 47 # 2829

e/ 28 y 34,

Reparto Kholy, Playa

Ciudad de La Habana CP 11300 Cuba

Telephone (537) 209 0926

FAX (537) 203 0967

E-mail: onhg@enet.cu

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Caracol gardeners!

I would love to hear if anyone gets through to the contacts provided above.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Caracol gardeners!

we thank you for the links and information. I shall do my best to clarify my own situation. carol e.

16. Re: Caracol gardeners!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia