We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracol gardeners!

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Caracol gardeners!

if you're a gardener, have a look at the garden that is being developed near the kitchen. It's quite inovative. I bring seeds and small equipment for the staff because it supplements their diet. and many of them have home gardens which they share produce from for their familie and neighbours. if you'd like to help, p mail me. carol e.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caracol gardeners!

They have a nice vegetable etc garden at Brisas as well, always stop by and see what's new and say hi, not sure about bringing seeds though, aren't they prohibited?

montreal
Level Contributor
10,577 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caracol gardeners!

Carol you bring seeds they are illegal as i would not do that but hey its only me ...

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caracol gardeners!

Not a great idea, as some of our plants could be opportunistic and out compete Cuban species. We have had a lot of problems in Canada with seeds being imported and doing damage to our local ecology, e.g. purple loosestrife. Unless you are a trained botanist, (and even then) it is inadvisable to bring seeds to another country. It is also illegal.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caracol gardeners!

I thought the restrictions had been lifted. at least that's the info that was passed on from someone who goes regularly with many packets of seed which have been seen at cuban customs.. can someone crosscheck this on line? plants are a no no but I thought seeds were okay! thanks for the input. and we can still bring in small implements, plant tape etc. gloves . carol e. and I bring organic veggie and herb seeds from my gardens.

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caracol gardeners!

Well said

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caracol gardeners!

"plants are a no no but I thought seeds were okay!"

Plants are a no no because they produce seeds, and therefore have the capacity to spread. I believe you have to have permission to import seeds legally. How stringently they police it is another matter. But I would subscribe to the "do no harm" principle, and avoid importing anything that could be problematic, and without knowing a lot about the ecology I don't think it's possible to be sure what is or is not a potential threat to native species.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caracol gardeners!

" I bring organic veggie and herb seeds from my gardens."

These are the worst type to bring.

Seed companies have controls and standards. Who knows what "grows" in the private garden. No offense intended.

Just don't take seeds or plants or ....

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caracol gardeners!

no offense taken. just don't agree with you, sr. radar. as a long term organic gardener and a really golden oldie [healthy 75 years young ] shall we compare notes in a few years? carol e. as for seed companies, the majority of them are vast markets controlled by monsanto and other gmo companies or artificial fertilizer corporations who are doing their best to destroy our seed banks. no offense intended.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caracol gardeners!

No offense taken.

Just because something is organic from and organic gardener does not mean it cannot or does not carry disease.

Would you agree?

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caracol gardeners!

Disease is one aspect. Another is that herbs, in particular, are often invasive. Ever try to get rid of mint? :-) I would agree organic is better than something that could be GMO. Really, really wouldn't want that Monsanto stuff loose in Cuba. Just because we are fools doesn't mean everyone needs to be!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia