We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

i have looked at sunwings description of the hotel and it states 110 voltage available in showers&or washroom,with majority of service being 240 volts.seems a little odd to see electrical service in shower,only place i have seen this is in rural PERU. do i need a power converter or not. any one whom has been there i would appreciate your help&imput&advice

regards&later KEWATIN

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

we always take an adapter.the resorts were built many eons ago. mayanabo was a military base, I think. the one in the shower is for hair dryer as a rule. caracol has the same set up. cuban homes are all wired [ such as they are ] for 110. go figure. we did have 1 outlet at bucanero but alas it's all gone now. sigh. carol e.

Edited: 3:44 pm, November 23, 2012
Gatineau, Québec
Level Contributor
308 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

It will depend where your are situated (which block). Bloc 1 has 110 outlet for the TV and sometimes the fridge so I unplugged the TV when I needed to use. In the bathroom is was razor only. In bloc 3 I've had 220 only, so to be on the safe side, bring a converter....

R.

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

kewatin here,

many thanks for all your help,sad part is we had a converter,but only have the different pins and no plug in.last place we used it was in spain,must have left it plugged in wall lol. will take your advice and pick up a new one.tried walmart but their website is down due to high traffic with black fri sales.i will probably venture out mon to pick one up. don't want to get gored by the wild shopper onset.many thanks again&much appreciated.

carol we will find you &take you up on the rudy burger offer.

regards&later KEWATIN

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

Carol, Mayanabo was never a military base, don't know where that rumour started. probably because some people refer to the rooms as "barracks" and the first few years we were there, mid eighties, it was used during the summer months as a vacation resort for Russian military families, I know you want people to go to Caracol but we have to be accurate :)))

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

it's all cb's fault. maybe she told me that so I wouldn't cramp her style. lol. thanks for the info. another golden oldie! carol e. maybe I could blame it on loss of memory. rofl

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,294 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

LOL.... We were told Rancho Luno was a barracks when we stayed in Cienfuegos too. It is similar to Mayanabo but we like Mayanabo better although I know Rancho Luna has undergone many changes since we stayed there ages ago.

We were told back in 1995 that Mayanabo was a Russian barracks when in fact as sailor said, it was used as a place for down time for Russian military and their families. Every time I go back, I hear a new version about something lol. I wonder if the story about Fidel entertaining some of his mistresses at King's Ranch is true?

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

is sailorperson a gasp! secret spy? she knows all these things and more. stay tuned for the continuing soap.... santa lucia!!! carol e.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

The KIng ranch has an interesting history actually, too long to go into here, but has been around since the 1850's and still one of the largest cattle ranches in the world (Texas location) The Camaguey branch was started in the 1950's, and was "acquired" by the government during the missile crisis. No doubt that Mr Castro spent time here, mistresses? who knows :) Sorry Carol, not a spy, mind you I couldn't admit to it could I? LOL Freezing out today, SL is calling my name!!

Edited: 4:49 pm, November 24, 2012
Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

oh do come and play with us, sailorperson. it is 80 degrees there and the vientos is soft. not to many mozzies either. and more snow is in the forecast for us!!! carol e.

Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: availability of 110electrical outlets at MAYANABO hotel

Sailor....come on! Nov 30th!! Spanish coffee is on me :)

Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia