We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi,

Just trying to sort our trip out around Borneo (leaving in 3 weeks) and would be grateful if anyone can tell me if it's possible to book Kalstar and/or Trigana flights when we arrive into Kuching? Or do we have to wait until we are in Kalimantan?

Our route is KL to Kuching and then clockwise around Borneo. Entering Kalimantan via Tarakan and hoping to get to Pangkalan Bun from Balikpapan with Trigana and leave Pangkalan Bun to Suraybaya with either Kalstar (cheaper, but stops in Sampit) or Trigana.

P.S. I already know about ticketindonesia.info

Thanks

Edited: 9:48 am, February 07, 2012
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi,

Just an update. Can't advise on the excess luggage costs, as we never actually flew Kalstar in the end!

We got an email (from a gmail account - nothing official) 3 weeks before we were due to fly telling us that the flight had been canceled due to maintenance reasons. We tried to sort out other flights, but it was just too darn difficult to get from Balikpapan to Pangkalan Bun. too long and too many stops. so we called it quits and will visit from Surabaya or Jakarta, next time.

Normally you can get just one ferry from Tawau to Tarakan, but whilst we were in Tawau on a Tuesday, we were told there wasn't any ferry that day. Turned out to be correct, as it had broken down. So we ended up going Tawau to Nunukan and the another boat to Tarakan.

Welcome to indonesia!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Exactly..."Welcome to Indonesia!"

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

@ infoaddict,

We're sorry to here that your planned journey didn't pan-out as expected... but as you say - there is a next time!

We also had problems that seemed insurmountable with our wanting to visit Palangkaraya... we'd initially thought of flying from there to CGK to Pontianak (PNK) and onwards to Kuching & Kota Kinabalu (BKI).

As we have our base in KL, we found (as have you), that we needed to transit from CGK...

So, for simplicity(!), we've booked our flights KUL-CGK-PKY-CGK-KUL-BKI-KCH-KUL - aaah, the pleasures of travel and loyalty rewards!

We're certain that when you finally make Palankabun that it will be worth the exercise.

Cheers ツ

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

I've been trying to book Kalstar flights on their website for a week now.

Each attempt results in "transaction declined"

I've emailed them, no luck finding any answers.

I called my bank and they said it hasn't even been logged as an unsuccessful transaction.

Any ideas out there?

I'm thinking of just buying them over there but I'm kind of worried that it might sell out.

Thanks in advance.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi,

I suppose it all depends on where you are flying to and from and how long you have in Indonesia before you need the flight.

To be honest we found it much cheaper to book our Batavia flights once we were in Indonesia

Another consideration is where abouts in Indonesia you try to book, as we were in Kalimantan and struggled in Tarakan to find a travel agents that spoke English. Luckily the LP guide gave one in Berau that did and we used them.

The alternative is to use an internet booking agent, such as

https://ticketindonesia.info/en/index.php

who we used and found very good. However you do pay for this service in charges and exchange rate conversions.

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Stuey88, I recommend booking your Kalstar tickets through an agent. We were in Kalimantan last month (fabulous BTW) and flew with Trigana, Swirijaya and Kalstar. The flights were all excellent and ran on time - booking them was the hard part. With Kalstar I initially booked 2 flights online - Banjarmasin to Pangkalanbun then Pangkalanbun to Semarang. The first flight appeared to go through except that I received confirmation email but no etickets. After several attempts at contacting Kalstar helpdesk the etickets were forwarded. The second flight booking received nothing and again after emailing the helpdesk I received notification that the transaction had failed despite my credit card being hit with the fares. Long story short, I exchanged many emails with Kalstar helpdesk who provided me with copies of the transaction showing it as voided and responded promptly but in the end I was eventually left with no option but to seek a refund through my credit card provider. I finally got my money back only last week several months after the initial transaction. In rebooking the tickets I decided to go the cautious route and used an agent which cost a bit more as I paid a booking fee but was worth it for peace of mind. I should say that Kalstar helpdesk were helpful throughout but it seems the online booking service is fairly new and is provided by a third party call centre - they still seem to have a lot of glitches to sort out.

Hove, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to book return tickets from Jakarta to Pangkalan Bun with KalStar. Can't complete be booking because.... MY NAME IS TOO LONG! Any ideas of what I can do? They want the name as it appears on the passport (I've already got rid of my middle name and the pesky hyphen which airlines seem to hate), but have no idea of what to do next!

HELP!!!

Dona

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

Hi Dona,

If I were you I'd give up trying to book on Kalstars's website and take a look at how we've managed to book flights this year.

This year we are going back to Indonesia again for 2 months and have found a travel agents in Lombok with whom we've booked some flights with Lion Air (who don't always like our UK credit card). They are just superb and believe it or not they were actually cheaper than we could have got the flight for by booking via Lion Air direct (as they don't charge any commission). We did have to fill out an authorization form to allow them to debit our credit card and also send them a scan of the front and rear of our card (which we were a bit wary about). But all has been fine and they have been superb in helping us, as one week after booking the flight Lion Air cancelled it and they contacted the head office in Jakarta to sort out new flights for us. Oh and our flights were for Papua and not related to Lombok at all.

The firm is called Bidy Tours and were recommended to us by the DE for Lombok (above). The email of the website is http://bidytour-lombok.com/neo/ and we dealt with a lady called Titin.

This year we will again try and make it to Pangkalan Bun. But will wait until we are in Indonesia or use Bidy Tours to book our flights

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

That is a good idea, just use Bidy tours.

They book both Kalstar and Trigana as they operate in that region as well.

Bidy Tour

http://bidytour-lombok.com

info@bidytour-lombok.com

bidytour@indo.net.id

bibytoursenggigi@yahoo.com

IATA Member No. Code 15-302092

PT.Bidy tours and travel

Jl.Ragigenep 17, Ampenan, Lombok – 83114

Phone: + 62 370 632127, + 62 370 634095

Fax: + 62 370 631821, + 62 370 637307

They will require your flight details to make the booking so perhaps check your desired flight time, flight number, date of travel and have at hand your passenger names.

When it comes time to make payment they will require the cardholders details including a scan of their passport photo page and the front and back of the credit card.

The Indonesian banks are problematic in demanding proof of card holder details due to the high incidence of credit card fraud arising from non-Indonesian cards.

So that requirement arises from the bank, not the travel agent or the airline.

When it is all finalised they will email you a copy of the invoice, payment details, ticket terms and conditions, and an e-ticket to print out.

Currently their web address http://bidytour-lombok.com seems to be re-directing to http://bidytour-lombok.com/neo/ and one of my browser extensions flags it for malware.

Not quite sure what that is all about so maybe just stay aware from that URL for now.

They are an entirely legitimate travel agent, and I live on the same island as their operation.

20. Re: Booking Kalstar and Trigana Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, July 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about East Kalimantan
More East Kalimantan Topics