We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Skipton, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I live in Jakarta and will be taking his parents (in their 60s but very keen travellers) to Tanjung Puting National Park in mid June.

1. We are investigating travel options and so far we have found:

- train to Semarang, one night there and ferry to Kumai

- fly to Semarang/somewhere else and fly to PKN

2. BUT we can't find the airlines that fly and we want to check the prices - do they have offices in Jakarta we could visit? We don't really want to book through an agent as we are on a tight budget.

3. Also is the ferry a fun experience? Do you see much scenery on the way? Can you walk around/sunbathe on deck? What are the second class cabins like?

4. Finally in an ideal world we would see more of Kalimantan than just TPNP but we only have a week. We want to stay 3 days on a Klotok but if there was a good place to go via on the plane where we could see some more (floating markets/villages maybe) then this could be worth the extra flight cost.

Any advice would be fantastic.

12 replies to this topic
Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Hi,

you can actually fly direct from Jakarta to Tanjung Puting.

We have been 3 times, twice with kids. Staying on the klotok was the best part of the trip.

Avoid weekends if you can, the better klotoks are all booked up and you may find yourself haggling over one of the more basic ones. Still good though. We found that enjoyment of the trip was in direct proportion of the quality of the cook on board.

Otherwise, bite the bullet and pay a reliable agent to book you a nicer klotok early.

PM me if you need any further info.

Happy planning.

Balikpapan...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Hi Marty.

I was Life in Pangkalanbun about 5 years,(PangkalanBun is the port entry to TPNP) and now i life in Balikpapan (East Kalimantan) If you want to go to Tanjung Puting National Park in Pangkalan Bun or want to visit some interesting places in kalimantan (Floating market, Canopy Bridge, Mahakam River, Dayak Tribe, Etc) please PM me.

or visit adventureindonesiadotcom (change word dot to. )

i'll give best service and best price for you

3. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:55 pm, June 08, 2011

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Hi, going to hijack your post a little! :)

I land in jakarta on Tues 14 June in the evening, I want to fly the next day to Pankalanbun to go to Tanjung Puting to go on a klotok for 3 nights, and fly back to Jakarta on the Saturday.

Is anyone able to tell me what time the flights go from Jakarta on the wednesday? I know I can't book until I get there (I think) and don't want to miss it if its one flight a day.

Also is anyone able to recommend a klotok, one that doesn't mind a veggie?!

Thanks

5. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:55 pm, June 08, 2011

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Is it possible just to go into the airport in the morning and book on the afternoon flight? otherwise I have no idea how I would book it!

If I can't get on a flight to there, I woudl find somewhere else to go, but I really want to go there! Do the flights get booked up early, or would I be better getting a local travel agent to book it for me?

Thanks

North Wales
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

Hi Travellertash,

It is possible to arrive in the morning and book for the afternoon flight - and if it's just yourself travelling, I'd say you have a good chance of getting a seat last minute. It will be peak season when you're there, but not as busy as July or August, so you still stand a good chance at getting on the same day flight.

If you want to be sure of your flights, and don't mind paying more to guarantee you go when you want, then you could use a local travel agent and book in advance. You would have confirmed seats this way, but you would be paying more if booking through an agent, not direct with the airline office at the airport.

I can recommend a good travel agent in Jakarta who issues flight tickets to the area, but as I said, prices are higher.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

hi,

i am interested in going from dps to pkn and then back to jakarta to fly home.

pls tell me which airlines U used.

thx so much.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

hi,

would you pls advise on how to get from DPS to PKN?

then PKN to jakarta?

and klotok tips.

thx so much.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane

I am from malaysia and will be Pengkalan Bun on the 14th of April, that is next month. I would like to go to Tanjung Puting for two days tour. I am a 57 years old lady and traveling alone. Is it safe to travel alone or can i join other groups?

Reply to: Jakarta to Tanjung Puting National Park: ferry vs plane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted