We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Jember / South Eastern Java

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Jember / South Eastern Java

Does anyone have any tips on how to get to Jember and South Eastern Java from Surabaya or Malang (I can easily fly to either from Jakarta)?

Is rail an option?

I went to Jember from Surabaya and return with a car and driver in 2013 - the trip from Surabaya airport to Probillinggo and return was an absolute nightmare and I do not want to do it again in a car (possibly if there was more time so we could stop but the driver seemed to be constantly in a rush - like all Indonesian drivers).

There seems to be lots to see and do in East Java but getting there without being totally stressed out is the thing.

Mentioned in this post
Jember
Jember
East Java, Indonesia
Java
Java
Indonesia
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Malang
Malang
East Java, Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
East Java
East Java
Java, Indonesia
Mijas, Spain
Level Contributor
861 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Jember / South Eastern Java

Yes, rail is an option.

You can find the train schedules here (website in Indonesian): https://tiket.kereta-api.co.id/?#reservasi

From Malang there is only one train daily to Jember, and it is an economy train (cheap but not comfortable), so I would not advise that.

You best choice is the so-called Mutiara Timur Siang train, departs from Surabaya Gubeng station at 9:00am and arrives in Jember at 12:59pm.

There is also a night train Mutiara Sianag Malam, D 10:00pm, A 01:48am.

Theo

Mentioned in this post
Malang
Malang
East Java, Indonesia
Jember
Jember
East Java, Indonesia
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
2. Re: How to get to Jember / South Eastern Java

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 05, 2015