We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

Hi, I am planning to climb Mount Semeru early May 2014, wondering if anyone out there interested to form a group? Is May a good time to trek there?

Also any advice welcome with regards for a budget trek/climb as I have gotten really expensive quotes previously.

Thanks!

Probolinggo...
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

if you want to do a budget climb, you can reach ranu pani (starting point to ranu kumbolo and semeru peak) by ojek (motorcycle taxi). you can have it from cemoro lawang. how to reach cemoro lawang with a budget cost? get a public transport (train or bus) from surabaya to probolinggo and a green shuttle to cemoro lawang.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

Hi, thanks for the info!!

I'll check it out further :)

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

You have to be very very careful because climbing in these mountains can be tricky.

I will try to find this amazing report written by a traveller years ago who went an alternative root and nearly lost their lives as a result.

Pamela

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

Hi Pam

Yes, been reading climbers' write ups as well, thanks for sharing, will definitely look into safety tips.

Jo

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

Hi Josiejo26,

Here are the reports I found, but they do not go into much detail but I remember the report they wrote in LP TT forum and it was horrendous and they were lucky to get out alive.

But it is no longer on TT.

…blogspot.com.au/2012/06/gunung-semeru-27-30…

…blogspot.com.au/2012/06/gunung-semeru-27-30…

Pamela

Edited: 6:33 pm, October 20, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

Thanks :) Sounds very much like any other blogs and reviews of the trek which I have read, most of them had difficulty navigating through the loose volcanic ground, that is expected.

I understand there was some trekker that got lost for few days previously and found by the Search and Rescue team, but that was because he went solo even though it was his first time there, which of course can be risky without guide.

Of course there were some who kind of got ripped off but I reckon they may not have done enough research before embarking on the journey, or they did not mind paying more for quality services. Regardless, the experience would make all worthwhile I am sure :)

Cheers!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

I thought the guy that got lost was a German expat that was climbing Gunung Merapi, not Gunung Semeru few weeks ago solo and got lost.

Pamela

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

few weeks ago?

apparently the one I read about wasn't so recent, but couldn't recall which link after reading so many...may be a different traveler :)

Jo

Probolinggo...
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

basically, the route to reach ranu kumbolo is not that hard. you can see the pathways. and you can pay some local to guide you up. or some one from cemoro lawang.

yups... the recent lost hikers were at merapi, not semeru.

10. Re: Climbing Mount Semeru early May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, November 06, 2013
Get answers to your questions about East Java
More East Java Topics