We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mellieha in february

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
mellieha in february

hi im taking my wife on a short break on February 13 th 2014 and would like to know some good places togo for drinks and food , im staying in the Solana . also are there any attractions close by I have been told about the popeye village and the air raid shelter can anyone help and tell me if these are close by and if they are open many thanks in advance

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mellieha in february

You will be right in the centre of the village. Friday nights the Solana has a good singer and the bar is a pleasant place to sit and unwind. Tosca (Solana owned) is pretty good and there are numerous other restaurants in the main street - from mainstream to very high end.

I would not recommend Popeye Village - not sure it is open even, but it's totally child focussed.

As you are on a main bus route I do suggest a day out in Valletta - lots to see there and a very scenic city (it's very small and easily seen on foot). Car hire is very cheap his time of year - perhaps hire for one day and create your own tour.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mellieha in february

The air raid shelters are only a short walk away from your hotel and makes a very interesting hour or so walking round and exploring, if you are a fairly active couple I would reccomend the heritage trail in nearby Xemjija ( only a short ten minute bus journey ) you wont find mention of it in many guide books or anything but if you google it before you come you will see its a very interesting walk

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mellieha in february

thank you very much for the information really appreciated

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mellieha in february

There's a really nice Italian restaurant we went to - come out of Solana onto main street, turn right down the hill, then right again down the side of your hotel - go over the 'bridge' and it's straight in front of you. Can't remember the name but it has green signage.

I had pasta with maltese sausage to start (divine!!!) and pizza for main. Free bottle of house wine is standard I think. total bill for two, two courses each and bottle of wine - 29Eur

Got recommended the Solana for good burgers - they're ok, but not the best.

The bus stop ext to your hotel is perfect for getting around (1.50Eur day ticket) to valetta

TIP: make sure you don't get the number 37 to Valletta - even though it says on t he board it takes the same time as the 41, it doesn't - it's a local service, jam packed and goes through all the towns and hospital etc - carnage!!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mellieha in february

thanks very much for the info will check out the Italian restaurant :-)

Edited: 7:02 am, January 22, 2014
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mellieha in february

It's called Da Ciccio Cucina - turn right at the Maritim Hotel down the hill. It's part of The Pergola Hotel which is the sister hotel to where you are staying. The set menu at Tosca (part of Solana) is also a good deal.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mellieha in february

That's the one - sorry I think I'm getting Maritim and Solana mixed up! If Maritim is the one on the corner, that's where we had burgers, and they weren't great, despite the recommendation.

8. Re: mellieha in february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha