We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Valetta

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Valetta

We are staying in Mellieha at the end of the month and whilst we have a hire car it seems, from reading the various posts on here, that taking the bus into Valetta is the better option. Do all the buses leave from the Mellieha Interchange or are there stops within the town itself where we can get a bus to Valetta? We are staying at the Solana hotel.

Thanks for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Solana Hotel and Spa
Solana Hotel and Spa
2,324 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Valetta

ive drove to valletta twice from the solana and never had any problems, we just parked in the big multi story car park outside the city walls. They have a free shuttle bus that takes you into Valletta or else its a ten minute walk. No problems with traffic , it is no busier than any large town or city in UK.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Valetta

Thanks for the reply - is it the car park at Floriana (and is it well signposted)? I think I'd rather go in the car then we are not tied to specific times but had got the impression that car parking was a nightmare.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Valetta

Parking is a nightmare in Valletta itself bue as has been said parking in Floriana is OK.

There are bus stops in Mellieha and thre is a regular and reliable service to Valletta.

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Valetta

yes thats the car park, to be honest both times we have just drove to Valletta and arrived at the car park, whether its easy to find or we were just lucky im not sure. Cant recall seeing any signposts for it. Its a massive car park and no problem getting a space, its quite cheap too, think it was 3 euros for several hours. Driving from the solana to car park takes about 30-40 mins.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Valetta

I've just got back from Mellieha and was staying at the Maritim which is just down from the Solona. There is a bus stop more or less right outside your hotel, just a short walk (2-3 minutes) down the hill and you'll see it opposite the Commando restaurant.

All buses except the 37 will take you to Valetta. I'd strongly recommend buying a 7 day bus pass as you'll be able to use it to travel all over Malta and it's really quite cheap. The buses are quite regular too, about every half an hour. You can buy the pass from the airport Arriva counter.

The bus from the stop above to Valetta will take around 50 minutes to just over an hour depending on how many stops. And coming back from Valetta you can get the same buses and can take quite long if you leave Valetta around 4 or 5 o clock at rush hour.

Edited: 6:01 pm, March 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Commando Restaurant
Commando Restaurant
802 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Valetta

Not all buses take you to Valletta.

I believe you need 37 , 41 or 42.

the others go to other places such as the airport, Bugibba , Sliema etc.

I am sure Phil - the - bus will have a complete list.

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Valetta

Yes and if you look at the "Top Questions" Box at the top right hand corner of this page you will see that there is a link to an article that tells you about the buses through Mellieha (and other places as well !).

To summarise, the buses through Mellieha are ...

To Valletta - buses 41, 42 and 37 ONLY

To Bugibba & Qawra - bus 221

To St.Julians & Sliema - bus 222

To Cirkewwa - buses 41, 42, 101, 102, 221 & 222

To Mosta - bus 41 or 42

To Naxxar - bus 37

To Golden Bay - buses 101 or 102

To Armier Bay - bus 37 (summer only)

All of these buses pick up at all bus stops through Mellieha. In addition there is bus X1 to the Airport which picks up at Belle View Interchange on the outskirts of the town.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra
Qawra
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Golden Bay
Golden Bay
765 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Armier Bay Beach
Armier Bay Beach
300 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Valetta

Oh oops, I must have been confused with something else. Sorry about the bad info, I can't edit it now though :/

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus to Valetta

Thanks for all your help on this. As we will already have the car I think we'll drive in and park at the Floriana car park - I am assuming it will be easy to find. I was just worried that it would be difficult to park there from other threads I have read - but apparently not from the info on this thread.

That way we are not tied to specific times and can stop and sightsee on the way if we want to.

10. Re: Bus to Valetta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha