We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seabanks hotel - an update please

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Seabanks hotel - an update please

Hi All

We are thinking of booking a holiday to the Seabanks hotel in late July, can any of you guys give us an update on the refurbishment work going on there? Many thanks.

John

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

My opinion for what it is worth having done the visit on saturday the 12th may...is this.... IMHO the Seabank even in whatever state it is in will be a far better proposition than the San Antonio or Ramla Bay as thats what I believe the travel agents are offering by way of an alternative...... The Ramla Bay is way out of the way..being down the hill the other side of the headland and very close to the ferry...there is no real beach there either..and not a lot other than the hotel and the Riviera hotel both rather old and dated......and in need of refurbishment too... The san antonio (we visited it last year and altho its OK its dated and also in need of refurb) seriously if it were a choice that i had to take......i would not take it.

The seabank target date is 1st June, and I think its an ambitious target for total completion...not impossible by any means, but I think its more likely to take a further 7-10 days to complete at best another week...- that takes it to early to mid June and then there will be a week or so "snagging" which is basically sorting out all the little niggly jobs like a touch of paint here a touch of plaster there the odd lighting issues...very very minor matters.

The main hotel building the older fully refurbed part is complete, lovely, as are the rooms, the new part the long section was in the final stages of internal fittings this I am told was to be completed and habitable in the next 1-2 weeks. The entertainment dome should have been completed last week with the first show scheduled for last thursday, but i believe it is not the case... the indoor pool only really needed minor works apart from the fitting of the plate glass windows. this should be finished now although for some reason the hotel has not shown any pics of these areas actually in use.

The two blocks for toilets and showers servicing the pool users should be finished about now....the kiddies dedicated pool and play area is likely to be the last area to be completed. along with the gym spa and aerobics room....altho i think the latter will be finished a little sooner. probably another couple of weeks as they have not hit their targets for other completion dates.

I think early to mid June will see a massive change in the pics...thats why I am going again on the 1st (at their request and invite not mine) as this is meant to be the target date..i would be most pleased to be totally wrong if they achieve it --having met Hubert and Ifan I am pretty sure they will be doing their utmost to make that happen.

I think that the TAs are acting responsibly by being more cautious now.. (a little too late for my money tho) maybe a little too cautious for those travelling in July and August.

If anyone is driving past the hotel they would be taking the route through the village centre and thus first seeing the long side of the hotel and yes that bit externally does look like a building site as theres a lot construction material still lying there and it is part of the interface zone for the new bypass road..... however the front is complete and doesnt with the exception of the vista pizzaria cafe bit to the right of the main door (which i have stated before as not being pleasant to sit and have a coffee) ....in this area there is rubble etc as thats where the entrance to the 200 car car park is and is still being worked on and is also the access to where they are working on the dedicated kiddies play area and pool.

the wall collapse (april 19th) we remember it well.....it happened within weeks of the roof collapse (7th march) - fortunately nobody was hurt or killed with it..unlike the roof collapse...and rather cynically the authorities are not pushing the investigation...only in malta am afraid, theres a lot of money in this project and the corruption here is extremely high, in all walks of planning finance taxation vat construction etc etc etc....and local government too.

they dont see the urgency.. i think....i thought they d be more open and upfront and also prompt in answering people - but sadly since saturday very few have had there requests answered openly and am not convinced of the answers given privately in mails.

In terms of those who have been and are still there now.... they will have a rake of compen claims i reckon...as the Ramla bay, Riviera and San Antonio are nowhere near close to the ultimate quality of the seabank... the ramla being right out of the way too....and no beach to speak of.

It may now be largely irrelevant as they seem to moving heaven and earth to hit their target - and I would be the first to congratulate them when they do - as I will be their again on 1st june for a visit at their invitation and request.

Have a greta time and am sure you will.

NB may have to take an earlier visit to bet more uptodate photos.....

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

just a further update from some friends who bravely took matters into their own hands and moved out of the alternative accom and moved back to the Seabank and this is what they said.....

"loving it! everything so much better and just improving by the day. they are aiming to have the entertainment dome open by friday (optimistic in my opinion, but judging by wht they have done already, they might just do it!) the spa opened today and outdoor pool i think will be tomorrow/friday morning."

so maybe they will achieve the target lets hope so....

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

Hi David

Thanks for your most informative update, much appreciated.

John

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

no worries John - there are more and more hotel supplied photos now and its looking good ....so i think the time for worrying is nearly over....

Bridgend, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

http://www.facebook.com/seabankresort

Update photos from the actual hotel can be seen there although bear in mind these are THEIR photos. However that said having seen some of the very unfinished areas a couple of weeks ago, the photo's they posted yesterday show them pretty much complete and looking very impressive.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

Latest news TC clients were moved to alternative hotels on Tuesday of this week.....

7. Re: Seabanks hotel - an update please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha