We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit

Manchester
Level Contributor
64 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visit

Hi All

I am planning a short visit to Malta the first week of May, and was wondering which area’s to look at hotels, myself and my partner are in our early 30s we like to venture out and about and explore the area, considering car hire to see the islands hidden gems, but we have no idea where to look at hotels we usually that are 4 star. Can anyone point us in the right direction. Would like to be near few bars and restaurants also not far from a nice beach.

Thanks in advance

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time Visit

would definately recommend Mellieha and the Solana.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time Visit

Hi Dynamite, what hasn't been said so far is that the Bugibba / Qawra resorts area of Malta are no to everyones taste, in our opinion it is overly touristy, tacky, a bit run down, quite ugly in-land, and famously infested with horrible timeshare reps, I have a number of Maltese / Gozitan friends who in there own words think of the area as "so horrible that they think it enough to put people off Malta for ever", but this is only ours and their opinions, but I felt it worth mentioning so that you receive a balanced view point with which to make your final decision, on the more positive note the areas of Mellieha and Sliema whilst also having a touristy feel and a timeshare problem are not nearly so bad as the afore mentioned, you might even wish to consider Marsaxlokk which by touristy and asthetic standards is much nicer and quieter than any of them.

Edited: 6:59 am, April 18, 2012
13. Re: First Time Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, June 04, 2012
County Down
Level Contributor
10 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time Visit

Mellieha is not advisable for anyone with any mobility problems - there are steep hills and /or steps at every turn. I am just back from there and was very disappointed in the hotel(we stayed in the MAritim Antonine) - and the area- it is very quiet. I'm no party animal but I do like to be near a good selection of bars and eateries and where there is plenty to do. By far the nicest part of Malta is the capital- Valetta. Sliema is just across the bay and VAletta is easily reached by water taxi or bus. Cruises etc leave from the front in Sliema. It is also a good base for travelling around the rest of the island either by rental car or bus.Be careful if driving - they say they drive on the left- they don't they drive in the middle -and are very aggressive drivers. We found Billy's car hire very good - inexpensive and professional. Hope this is helpful

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time Visit

Mellieha is a quieter village for sure but in its defence the early part of the year is always very quiet unlike the high season. The hill and steps and narrow uneven pavements will definitely cause a problem for anyone with mobility issues. I am indeed surprised at the comment of the maritim....Valletta is indeed very nice as is sliema however no real beaches there - Mellieha on the other hand has the best beach on the island for sure.... rental cars in Valletta will cost you dearly as there is a CVA (controled vehicular access) and charges are high and parking is a nighmare. I concur with the comments in driving here not a great experience for the unitiated.

16. Re: First Time Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha