We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No car hire for disabled drivers

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
No car hire for disabled drivers

Being disabled and planning a Holiday in Malta I thought I would like to hire a car to help me get around the Island.

Thinking that Malta now in EU that there must be a company that would provide special hand control adaptation cars for disabled visitors to hire who cannot use there legs.

I know that Malta caters very well for the disabled visitor and has a wide range of equipment for people to hire scooters/ wheelchairs and so on, but one major factor missing is car hire!.

I have been in touch with Major hire companies such a Europcar/Avis/Hertz and quite a few small independent ones who say that no such car is available on the Islands from them.

You would think that in this day and age and the amount of disabled people that visit Malta that would like to hire such a car are unable too.

The cost of adaptation is not great and they would soon get a good return on there investment if it was known that cars such cars are available to hire in Malta.

Regards.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No car hire for disabled drivers

For the benefit of others who may not have seen it, this topic was covered a few weeks ago here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190311-i348-k50… with several replies (although none of them solved the problem unfortunately).

Out of interest Anthony, is this a problem in other small countries or is it just in Malta.

P-t-B

South
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No car hire for disabled drivers

I agree entirely Anthony. The scooters etc are all very well for getting around the immediate area and the bus service is excellent for the able bodied although I did see one or two disabled people use the bus while I was over there, it seemed that no leeway was given them to actually get to a seat before the driver put his foot down!

Maybe if enough people put it forward to the various hire companies, they just might take note.

3. Re: No car hire for disabled drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, June 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha