We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radisson SAS Golden Sands

Leicester, Uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Radisson SAS Golden Sands

I have appear to have "won" a competition whereby for £99, I can stay at the Radisson SAS Golden Sands resort for 7 nights (accommodation only), buffet breakfast included. Flights not included.

The catch? Apparently, the only obligation is to spend one afternoon being given a tour of the resort and being told about the members club, which I am not obliged to join.

Managed to call and speak to people at the resort who were not in the Marketing dept and they said loads of people have been there on the £99 deal. Its part of the strategy to get the resort known around the world.

Anyone been there on this deal or know what its all about?

Thanks

Malta
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

Don’t know anything about the offer but as for the hotel, it is luxurious enough to host the heads of states that will be attending the Commonwealth Summit to be held in Malta this November. I don’t imagine such a hotel will go around making gimmicks.

Leicester, Uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

Thanks gocca for the info. I too, recently read about the conference taking place in November. I was somewhat reassured by this and have decided to take up the offer and booked the flights.

However, I have since came across a couple of worrying sites that seem to want to warn people from the resort:

http://www.crimeshare.net/list.html

Has the “Island Hotel Group” (who own the Radisson SAS) on their blacklist of timeshare scammers and

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=48137&highlight=golden+sands

have some interesting stories to tell about “persuasive” salespeople trying to get you to part with your cash.

As I have already booked the flights, gonna take my chances and go anyway. I just hope the holiday isn’t spoiled by aggressive sales tactics as it coincides with my 1st Wedding Anniversary. I can easily handle such situations but my wife’s a bit of a soft touch and may feel intimidated. Not what we need on holiday!!!

Hampshire, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

I too have been offered a £99 deal at the Radisson SAS Golden Sands in Malta and have been wondering whether to take up the offer or not. Have just come back from a week on the Costa del Sol where we were lured into a Holiday Club presentation where they try and sell you holiday points. Won't bore you with all the details but we thought we were just having a hotel tour and were stuck there for nearly 3 hours. These people told us they were working for the hotel chain where we were staying and the idea was to get guests to book direct. Rubbish!

If you are getting the holiday practically free it's probably worth an afternoon of your time. We felt aggrieved because we had wasted part of pur holiday which we had paid for. Good luck and please post a message on here when you get back to let us know how you get on.

Leicester, Uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

Barbie22464 - I personally think that you should seriously consider taking the £99 offer up. The £99 should buy you return transfer by taxi and breakfast for the stay. Return flights for a week should be well under £150pp, depending departure airport. The way I see it, I've paid £327 for flights, accomo (incl breakfast) for 2, for a week in a 5* Hotel in Malta. It’s a bargain!!!

Also, the Radisson has been marketing this offer via the Readers Digest Magazine but with that offer, they're throwing in 3 days free car hire!!! I'll be asking for that, no doubt!

Having been through a "presentation" before, you will be already well prepared to resist any strong sales tactics to sign up. So that part of the holiday shouldn't be an issue for you. I'm prepared to give up an afternoon to hear them out but have no intention to buy into any club or timeshare or whatever they call it these days. I just don’t have that kind of cash, even if I wanted to!!!

I think there can be no doubt the hotel itself will be fabulous, in terms of the quality of the building, rooms etc. That’s why I am going there instead of just going elsewhere.

Prices to eat and drink on site I can imagine will be high so I intend to shop elsewhere for bottled water and snacks etc. I do know that it'll involve travelling a bit as the resort is somewhat isolated (perfect setting, for security reasons, for the commonwealth leaders visiting in Nov 05).

As an additional, maybe unnecessary precaution, I also intend to use a credit card with a very low credit limit for security against room charges. Just in case the hotel gets funny about trying to charge me for things I didn’t use.....

So all in all, despite the reservations, I think this is a good deal and certainly worth considering.

Hampshire, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

Hi,

You seem to have thought everything through very carefully and I think you are wise to take a card with a low credit limit.

I admit I did start to waiver when I read your reply - what you say about a fabulous holiday is very true and I'm sure that is what you will get. When is it you are going?

Make sure you stick to your guns about signing anything though. In Spain they made the holiday points system seem very attractive and it wasn't until we took figures away with us to work things out for ourselves we realized we wouldn't be any better off financially by joining. Also there were things they told us that just didn't add up when we strated asking lots of questions.

They wanted us to make our minds up there and then but we refused point blank and only then did they allow us to go away for a couple of hours to think about it. The other thing we found suspicious was the fact they wouldn't let us take away any printed leaflet with figures or information, we had to copy those down.

They will tell you almost anything to get you to sign but

I'm sure there are many reputable 'Holiday Clubs' out there but we decided they are not for us.

Good luck and bests wished for your first anniversary.

Barabara

Leicester, Uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

Barbara - I have too much time on my hands!!! Do nothing but surf the net and research stuff !!

We're going 7th Feb 06 for a week. My other option was to pay £1,500 and go to the Far East. Needless to say, I'm attracted by spending less than £400 (no, I'm not tight, just like to look for value...)

I expect them to say that the offer is valid on that day only and I must sign now etc etc. But I'm prepared for that. I'll simply say that I NEVER make big decisions on the spot and if they are serious, I should be able to come back later.

Also, as I work in the Finance dept of a Law Firm, I'll use that angle if I need to. I'm pretty good with numbers so I'll enjoy embarrassing them with point out the flaws!!

Any comments like "Our legal team are waiting for you to sign on the dotted line..." will be met by "I'd need to speak to one of my 100+ Solicitor colleagues at work first..."

I've been speaking to various people in the Sales / Marketing (not sure which) department of the Radisson SAS and they assured me there would be no hassle. If I did get any, I'd simply call my contact and ask her what’s going on.

If you look into taking the offer up, ask to be dealt with by a lady called "Rachel", she's the one I've been speaking to and seems nice.

I have also spoken to another in the dept "Faith Williamson" and have had emails from the likes of "John Grafton" and "Samatha Portelli". if it comes to it I'll get them all on the phone and ask them what happened to my assurances of hassle free holiday? Obviously, this doesn’t guarantee anything but the more noise I make, the more they'll back off!!!

It may seem like I'm taking extraordinary measures here but I'm only doing it to shield my wife. She's a sensitive soul (ahh...) and any hint of hassle and it could ruin her holiday, something I won't let happen!!!

Bexhill-on-Sea
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

we took up the offer of the free accomodation in September, just after it opened it's doors. There was a lot (and I mean a lot) of building work going on, but I have to say, it really didn't intrude on our time there. We hired a car a took off most days - might have been different if you wanted to spend lots of time at the pool, but we didn't. The presentation was OK - showed us all around the hotel - different types of rooms, members lounge, members pool etc. All sounds very tempting - just keep in mind that you don't want to buy - you're only there to enjoy your free holiday!. Hotel was lovely, and staff very helpful. Only one restaurant open when we went, but as we were out most of the time, we tended to eat out. Restaurant was expensive, but what would you expect from a 5* hotel. Food was varied and very good.

Go and have a great time - it really is worth a couple of hours for the presentation to stay in a 5* hotel - we certainly couldn't afford it normally.

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

I too have just returned from the Radisson SAS Golden Sands, I must say that i didnt find any building work, yet they have just hosted world leaders for the CHOGM week, which i think was their deadline.

Well I can advise anyone considering this offer DO IT!!! for £99.00 (and £279 for flights) we definitly experienced a luxury holiday as promised.

As for the "presentation" i do understand peoples scepticism, being nervous myself, but i can honestly say the rep trying to sell us a timeshare was great, he looked after us all through the holiday, although we refused his very tempting offer he remained friendly and applied no pressure which we expected. Its about time that a timeshare company done things properly!, although the package wasnt for me and my wife, i will definitly reccomend any one considering it, to go to this hotel.

In all, we had a great holiday in a posh hotel which we couldnt afford otherwise, honestly guys the dreaded "hard sale" doesnt happen at golden Sands.

Leicester, Uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

honeypuppy,

Thanks for your feedback on the Golden Sands, I'm much more reassuered now.

I would be interested in hearing more about your experiences there. I imagine the weather when you went will be similar to the when I go (Feb 06). i.e. Cold!!!

Is there plenty to see an do around the immediate resort, did you have to travel to other places (by car or public transport)?

Thanks

Malta
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radisson SAS Golden Sands

thesujman, the Golden Sands is in a completely secluded place and other than the Golden Bay beach nearby, it lies in open country. You will definitely need a mode of transport to get around. Hiring a car is quite cheap and would save you time. Enjoy it - the Radisson Golden Sands is as luxurious as you can get - fit for a Queen :)

Get answers to your questions about Mellieha