We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any theme parks in Malta?

Which Mellieha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
9 posts
Save Topic
Any theme parks in Malta?

Hi all, I am planning a holiday to Malta in July for myself, partner and my 8 yr old son.I have been several times before as a kid myself but I am guessing that there may have been alot of changes to the island since then.

Can anyone tell me what sort of theme parks they have in Malta and attractons for an 8 year old? We will most likely be staying in Melleiha but plan to hire a car.

thanx

k

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

I've been swimming with the dolphins and can fully recommend it, they are very well looked after and the people that go swimming with you are very knowledgeable about each one's individual needs and personality, you even have to take a shower before you are allowed in the pool with them to avoid cross infection of any sort and disinfectant foot and hand baths are used, it's all very professional and well worth a ago much better than the ones in America, only 6 people are allowed in with each dolphin and they only allow 2 dolphins in the pool at he same time.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

No my feelings are and always have been that wild animals belong in the wild no matter where in the world you are not just Malta

You want to swim with Dolphin, Sharks, Giant Mantas or even Guppies then learn to dive and see them how they're supposed to be. It's sooo much better!

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

I can fully understand that scuba, and am sure that diving is a fabulous way to see these animals in their natural environment (I have seen dolphins in the ocean swimming freely while on a boat A trip) but on the other hand if we didn't have animals in captivity then we wouldn't be able to learn certain things about them and also breeding programs keep certain species going, so as long as they are looked after properly and positive things are coming out of it I can't see a problem with it.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

Way back when Windsor Safari Park was still in existence there was a Dolphin show and we all found it fascinating. Later though we all agreed that it was totally artificial and the poor dolphins were kept in an envioroment and climate which had nothing to do with their natural enviroment.

I agree it would be better if the dolphins in Malta could be set free but I suppose it`s not possible once they have spent all (or practically all) their life in captivity.

I`m glad that at least they are well looked after and the climate is closer to what they are used to in the wild.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

During the summer months there are festas every weekend in Malta so you will definitely find one somewhere whilst you are there and if you are hiring a car you won't have a problem getting there.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

I guess this is where I came in really.

I understand the need to learn about species but keeping them just so the public can play/swim with them is just plain wrong. If there was no profit for the park they would not be there.

I also recognise the issues that if they have spent their lives there then the wild is not going to be the best place for them without some extensive rehabilitation/re-training. The ones at Windsor were all sent to a marine reserve in Florida.

I never meant for this to become a political issue but rather more to hope that people will recognise that while there is a market for this kind of thing then so it will continue. I personally would like the demand dry up for these shows as they did at Windsor. This would encourage people to go whale and dolphin watching while they are in their natural environment even more so in these days of increased access, mobility and international travel.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

I agree with the dolphin debate - they shouldn`t be kept in captivity for our enjoyment. And it`s true if people stop going to the shows it will discourage the proprietors. The same applies to fur coats and ivory ornaments.

There was a programme on BBC recently `10 things to do before you die` and swimming with dolphins was in the top 5.

I have a friend who has an autistic child and she says the improvement he has made since she regularly takes him to swim with the dolphins has been impressive.

The trouble is that the dolphins here look so well looked after that you tend to forget the basic fact of their captivity.

18. Re: Any theme parks in Malta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha