We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

2 50 something sisters looking to visit GC for first time in September. Not late bedders though enjoy a few drinks with entertainment if possible. Don't mind a 10/15 minute walk home after a night out or going to the beach. Basically looking for a steer on where best to go where not going to be kept up by noise! Any suggestions appreciated!

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Have you considered Puerto Mogan? Just along from P/Rico but a very different place. It ticks the boxes of what you are asking. I go regularly on my own or with hubby. Safe, pretty, quiet but not dead. Built on the harbour/marina, small beach, many many cafes/bar/restaurants to choose from, no hassle from staff to get you to entre, a few souvenir/tat shops, a few quality clothes and shoe shops, two large supermarkets. Not a big place but enough to occupy me for 2/3 weeks anyway. :-) Bus station and great service if you want to look further afield.

Have a look at the link below.

spain-grancanaria.com/uk/photos/mogan/puerto…

Glasgow
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Thanks for that! Looks lovely, is there a shuttle service from airport? We normally book a 2 bedroomed apartment when holidaying, would you recommend anywhere? Will certainly check this resort out. Your help is appreciated

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

I can recommend

http://www.mogan-apartments.com/

Owned by an Irish family since 1988. They have over 40 apartments around the beach and marina. The standard is second to none. They provide taxi collection too for €55

www.moganelsirocco.com/?p=Apartmentlocations have plenty to choose from and respond quickly to any emails. Nothing is too much trouble.

I use www.resorthoppa.com for my transport and book a Speedy Shuttle, four stops max. This is about an hour. The ordinary shuttle takes 2/3 hours as they go "all around the houses" dropping at other hotels. Mogan is the last stop BTW.

Anything else I can help with, just ask. :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

This taxi service comes highly recommended by people on the forum and you would be in Mogan 30/40 minutes later. For two of you sharing the cost, I'd go for it.

http://canarytransferservice.com/pricing/

You could have a look at www.booking.com for accommodation too.

They don't require a deposit and you can cancel 24hrs in advance if you change your mind.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Brilliant, will contact suggested agents and see what is available. Fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Thank you, will certainly check that out once we have accommodation sorted. This is a great forum, haven't used it before!

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Watch out though, it can become a bit addictive...like the travelling!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

You seem to have gone for the first suggestion and it wasn't on your list. Puerto Mogan is nice certainly but I wouldn't dismiss Maspalomas yet. Whatever you do, don't go to Puerto Rico except possibly Anfi or Amadores but I would leave them for later. You'll get hooked on the island as well as this site. Maspalomas has a very good selection of hotels, although be careful of apartments as some are a bit of a distance from the centre. The whole stretch from Maspalomas through to Meloneras is lively with lots of shops and , restaurants although probably not much in the way on lively night life. For that a 1.40 € bus ride into Playa del Ingles gives you a very different style of evening. Maspalomas also has much better connections with the rest of the island and you would want to visit Las Palmas at least once and maybe explore less touristy areas like Arinaga, Aguimes or Telde.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Thank you for your input

Glasgow
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maspalomas or Peurto Rico?

Don't know what I did there, but to continue! Thank you for your input. Am more than happy to look at all possibilities on the island, I think my issue might be we would like an apartment as opposes to a hotel. We are both used to our own space and do not wish to share. However we could certainly look at 1 bedroomed apartments with a bed in the living area. If you could suggest any suitable areas within the resort, bearing in mind we do not mind up to a 15 minute walk, that would be helpful! Appreciate all the advices I have been given. I would say though that we can't afford top of the range!