We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare scanm

Which Maspalomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshare scanm

Not a question, more a warning for future visitors to Gran Canaria. If you are approached by anyone with scratch cards claiming you have won a top prize, just ignore it and walk away. You will be bundled into a taxi, taken to a hotel in Puerto Rico and have your head blagged for 3hours or so while they try and tempt you to sign over large amounts of cash for the holiday firm Voyager. Oh, and everyone wins the holiday. Only it's not a holiday, just lousy two star accomodation in another canary island, where you will have to pay your own food and flight costs. It's really not worth wasting your time. Also, on the beach front, watch out for 3 African woman who come over and as good as shove some cotton bracelet on you then demand money. My advice is be very firm when approached by anyone attempting to sell you anything over there. There's a lot of scams going on and some real hard sells too. Firmness is a must. Don't be sucked in. Just say no.

Edited: 8:35 am, April 25, 2012
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare scanm

These scams have been going on for years. I thought everyone who travels would be wise to them....As Zammo said "just say no "

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare scanm

Hi, You are so right nothing put hassle going to the beach at Maspalomas were are the police.

Edited: 2:21 pm, April 25, 2012
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare scanm

You go on holiday to chill out, but theres no escaping the touts and moider over there. Luckily I found short cut to the beach to avoid the Africans lol. No escaping the scratchcard touts though as they were everywhere.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare scanm

I left Masapolamas on Monday and didnt encounter any hassle...The sun glass sellers were mildly irritating but nothing more,,,,,they did understand no thank you

west midlands
Level Contributor
694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare scanm

saw the african ladies almost daily,very intimidating and aggressive,very organised the way they trap a person.the thing is we dont stand for it back home,yet sometimes let our guard down whilst abroad.,shame really.but as above people mentioned,be very very firm,brush past or walk a distance from them,dont think i need to spell it out what to say,lol,

London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshare scanm

The timeshare touts have been there for over 30 years, so nothing new. Before Africans it was gypsies that would try to get money from you in the streets.

This goes on at resorts all over Europe so surely people should be wise to it by now. Just be vigilant and don't get involved with these people.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshare scanm

I've been all over Europe and never had hassle tbh. I've been to 4 of the other canary islands and again had no hassle, but Gran Canaria I found quite moidersome. It was my first time there so of course I didn't know the ins and outs to the place depsite reading up and buying a travel guide which mentioned nothing about these scams.

If this post stops even one person being scammed then it is worth it. I always read trip advisor before I go on holiday and had I seen a post like this it would have helped immensely. Fore-warned is fore-armed

London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshare scanm

ali822

There are quite a number of posts on TA about the timeshare touts in GC, particularly in Puerto Rico.

Anyway, should you go there again you will be more prepared.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshare scanm

I wouldnt have thought to look up Puerto Rico on here because we never intended to go there, we stayed at Maspolomas and that's where we were hassled. But yes, we would know now and I would still go back as Gran Canaria is beautiful

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshare scanm

While they are hassling you they may be dipping into your pocket. zips are necessary at the very least.

Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas