We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding whether to visit Gran Canaria in next summer??

Which Maspalomas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte
1 post
Save Topic
Deciding whether to visit Gran Canaria in next summer??

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice. We are trying to decide on a vacation destination for next summer (june 08). We are looking for a place similar to the Greek Isles which we loved visiting in 2001. It was charming & picturesque & just a great place to visit. We are in our upper 30's enjoy beaches, nice weather, exploring new places & a little night life. We will be flying to the Barcelona from the US. We were thinking about spending a few days in Barcelona before taking a flight to Gran Canaria. We had also thought about visiting the Balearic islands instead. Any advice? Also I read that since the Greece has become a lot more expensive to visit that the Canary Islands are the new hot spot for a good vacation value. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gran Canaria, Spain
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding whether to visit Gran Canaria in next summer??

Don't expect Gran Canaria to be anything like the Greek islands. It's certainly true that there are many pretty mountain villages which are relatively unspoiled, but it is also a major European holiday destination with big purpose-built resorts along the coast. The beaches, weather and facilities are good, but it's not sleepy. Beaches are big and sandy - several kilometres long - and popular. There are some rocky coves. It's an excellent year-round holiday destination, and has been so for over 30 years (some parts of some resorts reflect that).

Sometimes Gran Canaria can be cheaper, as it has a special tax break giving it advantages over mainland Spain, but the island offers dining at various budgets.

There are seven islands in the Canaries: if you want somewhere smaller and much more unspoiled (though it's wetter than Gran Canaria), try La Palma (don't confuse this with the capital of Gran Canaria, Las Palmas). This has lush and spectacular scenery, but does not as yet have the big tourist developments. Like Gran Canaria, though it's still in Europe. Also look at La Gomera or El Hierro, and Fuerteventura. However, there are much better flight connections from Barcelona to Gran Canaria. But don't expect the Greek Islands.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding whether to visit Gran Canaria in next summer??

It is definitely not like the Greek Islands, it is a very busy all year round destination for most of Northern Europe.

I would echo the suggestion of visiting the smaller islands...La Palma is very nice and can be reached by air ( Binter is the airline)or if you fly to Tenerife you can catch the Fred Olsen Express ferry to La Palma - 2hrs.

If you are set on Gran Canaria then Puerto Mogan is a favourite of mine although it is getting more and more built up these days and is very busy also.

Another favourite of mine is Playa Blanca on Lanzarote which is quieter and has lovely but smaller beaches and has the advantage of a short ferry link to Fuerteventura.

Gran Canaria
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding whether to visit Gran Canaria in next summer??

Absolutely nothing like the Greek Islands. Gran Canaria is a totally different concept altogether! But don't be put off, as GC has plenty to offer outside of the Costa style i.e. Playa del Ingles and San Agustin which is similar to parts of Southern Spain. Meloneras is very upmarket, Maspalomas is generally quiet and peaceful and Mogan is pretty to name but some of the attractions that await you. Greece is a season (which ends in September) based holiday if you are looking for sun, sea and beach and therefore prices would naturally attract higher prices for June, July and August, which is when most Europeans take their summer holidays to tie in with school holidays. The same goes for Gran Canaria (but is an all year round holiday location) but if you shop around you should still be able to pick up a bargain or two.

4. Re: Deciding whether to visit Gran Canaria in next summer??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maspalomas