We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Part of Tossa's charm is that there aren't too many things to do. If you want a change from the beach or organised coach trips, one of the simple things you can do that is both fun and rewarding is to visit the local dog's home and take a dog for a walk in the Parc de sa Riera. It’s a lovely thing to do to take some of their poor homeless dogs for a walk in the tranquillity of the park. It gets you out to walk around the nice quiet little known country park and surrounding countryside. A bit of gentle exercise in amongst a holiday of good food and drink in Tossa does you the world of good. If you have pets at home and you are missing them, it is great company to have. If you are into animal welfare, it is great to be doing something that is of use. The dogs spend all day cooped up in kennels otherwise, hoping to be re-homed.

Kids love it. We went along with our toddler son and we were always given dogs that were fine with children. None of the dogs bite or are dangerous.

It’s completely free. It won’t cost you anything. If you wish, you can give them a donation, but you’ll never be asked for one.

You don’t need to know any Spanish; the staff there will know what you are there for if you say “Walk dogs”. There are no forms to fill out. You won’t even be asked your name. You can take them out for as long as you like, whether it’s a half hour stroll or a few hours, the dogs will be delighted to be out. It's open every day.

The park is just beyond the end of the market. When you get to the end of the market street, keep going. Walk through the park for about 10-15 minutes, go past the campsite and soon you’ll get to the municipal water works and then the dogs home is next door. You’ll hear them barking to guide you in the right direction!

The official details are as follows:

Gossera Comarcal,

Centre d'Acollida d'Animals a la Selva (CAAS),

Parc de sa Riera,

17320 Tossa de Mar.

Telephone number: 972340813

ccselva@ddgi.es

www.ccselva.org

You'll also see a couple of volunteers manning a table at Tossa's market every week with details of the centre, with their dog Jordi who came from the centre. Tossa's tourist information centre also has details of the centre.

85 replies to this topic
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,127 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

littlebean

Yes still open,all welcome

SS

soaked in ireland
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Thank you, you give me a good giggle, i know its an old post, not sure how i got here but have enjoyed the stories.

soaked in ireland
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

sorry if i have offended some story tellers, my reply was to a few early storys in 2010, i do hope nobody minds, but at least its keeping the cause active. happy walkies

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Great to see plenty of holidaymakers visiting the dogs home to take dogs for walks when we were there in the first 2 weeks of August. Also it was nice to see publicity at the Golden Bahia to promote dog walking at the dogs home.

As well as being open to the public every day, the dogs home has been running special open days with a range of activities in the park once a month over the spring and summer. The last one this year is on 15 September.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

I planning on going downthere tomoro. . If'd I can find it!missing my pooch and love dogsso can't think of anything better

7 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

I am here now with my mother in Tossa. She works for a dog rescue in England and she is so excited about walking the dogs here and visiting this rescue. Thanks for letting us know about this place.

newcastle
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

We went and walked some dogs this week.. Thank you to whoever said about not wearing flip flops.. I had a bit of a puller.. We got three dogs.. Think the kids would have liked to pick their own though.. Was a bit sad handing them back. Really glad we found out about it.the dogs seemed to walk better when they were all grouped together. I would recommend to everyone.:-)

Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Hi I have tried contacting the dogs home in Tossa about adopting a dog . But don't get a reply by email.

How did you go about adopting from them.

Will they arrange a pet passport if you pay.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Hi Eve,

I sent you a PM, with some information that might help.

Best,

Monique

Edited: 12:39 pm, September 22, 2013
Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!

Hi Everyone I am going to dogs rescue next Thursday 6th Feb 2014. I have seen a dog on the website identical to Teddy the one I rescued from there 14 years ago, when they were next to the council compound.

I hope to adopt her and bring her to England on 5th March. Her name is Melody.

Wish me luck. I shall keep you updated x

Reply to: Take an abandoned dog in Tossa for a walk. You'll love it!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tossa de Mar