We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Portugal's backcountry...

Which Leiria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
12 posts
Save Topic
Exploring Portugal's backcountry...

My husband and I are going to Portugal in July. We'll be staying mostly in Leiria and Nazare. We are interested in taking a road trip through Portugal's country side, perhaps through it's mountain area. Does anyone have any suggestions on routes or places to visit and things to do?

We like camping too!

bristol uk
Level Contributor
983 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Portugal's backcountry...

You could visit Fatima - the drive is around an hour from Nazare. There is also a caves system in the national park ( on a map it's to the right of Nazare - sorry to offer such girlie directions !) we have this planned for our summer holiday as there is also a water park at the site - friends of our went to the caves last year and said they had a really good day. If you are interested in "local" restaurants here are a couple I have tried - is one in Alfezerio ( incorrect spelling) Restarant Vilimar - if you were to drive to this village from San Martinho direction it would be on your right, sign on the roof of their building, as you get to the village - it is only open for lunch with a menu of the day. Also in Sitio ( the part of Nazare that is at the top of the funicular) - as you leave the funicular most people will leave to the left, go around in front of the ticket office and leave the right-hand exit look left and there is a tiny restaurant that does lovely fish meals- they don't speak english. There are some really good fish restaurants in Nazare.

2. Re: Exploring Portugal's backcountry...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 07, 2010