We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

Which Leiria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

This topic was 4 years ago, I think - some changes took place...

1) What is the easiest and fastest way from lisbon to leiria ? Where can I see the bus schedule? From which place in Lisbon bus departs to Leiria? Must I buy tickets in advance?

And how can I see the train schedule (at www.cp.pt I write from Lisbon to Leiria but it 's answere is "no such destination") ?

2) I want to visit Batalha and Alcobasa from Leiria. Where can I see the bus schedule?

3) Is it possible to go to Tomar from Leiria by public transport?

Thank you in advance !

bristol uk
Level Contributor
985 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

The bus service will be rede expressos; the site is in portugese but on the top right hand side it is possible to enter Lisboa as the start and Leiria as the destination. They use the sete rosso ( may the incorrect spelling - sorry)bus station this is about a E10 taxi ride from the airport. I would think that you would need to use the buses to get ot the other places of interest to you. Hope this helps.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

Hi Savl1,

Don't know what you mean by this topic is 4 years ago, moving along.

1 Answered elsewhere.

2. For Alcobaça check: http://www.rede-expressos.pt/

For Batalha: www.rodotejo.pt/horarios/urbanascontratuais

3 Yes check: http://www.rede-expressos.pt/

Cheers

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

The buses from Lisbon to Leiria leave from Sete Rios bus station, to give its correct spelling. Bus 96 runs from the airport to the Sete Rios bus station if you do wish to pay for a taxi.

Leiria does not have a direct train service from Lisbon. Very few trains go to Leiria, they are very slow and you have to change trains two or three times, so the bus is by far the better choice.

I cannot improve on the other answers!

Moscow
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

Thanks to everybody! I found buses useful for me:)

How early must I buy a bus ticket? I plan to stay in Lisbon 2 days before Leiria, is it ok to by it 1-2 days in advance? Or it is better ro reserv them via internt? What means (www.rede-expressos.pt):

• As reservas efectuadas (via SMS ou CALL CENTER), terão de ser levantadas até uma hora antes da partida. Caso isso não aconteça, o lugar será anulado automaticamente, ficando o passageiro dependente da disponibilidade de lugares.

Is it means I can reserved tickeks by call or sms without payment and then buy them for example 1 day before trip?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

If you are intending to travel on Friday afternoon or Sunday evening or at a major holiday time, you should make a reservation on internet, which you can do up to 8 days in advance. These are the very busy times for the buses.

If you make a reservation by SMS or through the call centre, the statement says that you must collect your ticket not later than one hour before departure. If you do not, it is cancelled and you would only be able to travel if there are seats not reserved.

In my limited experience of the Rede-Expressos, the buses are rarely full - except at the busy times mentioned above - so you should be able to buy a ticket on the day of travel. You should always allow maybe 30 minutes as the lines at Sete Rios bus station ticket office can sometimes be long as it has many buses to all of Portugal.

If you are going to be in Lisbon 1 or 2 days before travel to Leiria, you could always make the trip across to the bus station and buy your ticket. The bus station is next to the Metro station of Jardim Zoologico. It is a good idea, if your Portuguese is not good, to write on a piece of paper the date and time and destination of your intended journey, which you can pass to the clerk and save any misunderstanding.

I hope that helps.

6. Re: from lisbon to leiria (by public transport)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 20, 2010