We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flam railway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Flam railway

Going on a Fjords cruise later this summer and taking my Mum who is in a wheelchair for ease of getting around.

We would like to make our own way on the Flam railway as heard this is easy to do , is this so?

Also our ship's excursion details (Crown Princess) says their trip is not wheelchair accessible, but from what I've read about the railway they do make provision for wheelchairs.

Would appreciate some advice on this please. We don't want to wait till we arrive in Flam and find that there are no tickets available.

Thanks in advance

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,379 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flam railway

As far as I know, the train is wheelchair accessible - trip reports have confirmed that it is. On the other hand, the train is not bookable for individuals and on a busy day in Flåm you may be turned away because the trains are full. They tend to book up by the cruises and they leave only one carriage for individual passengers.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flam railway

Thanks - I'd read that in Trip Reports too that they put ramps up for wheelchairs. My Mum can walk, the wheelchair is just a way of getting her from A to B.

I understand that you can prebook tickets for groups of 10 on the internet but individual ones have to be purchased on the day. We are intending to be off the ship first thing, get the tickets as soon as the ticket office opens that morning and travel on the train later in the morning.

I'll post as to whether this works when we've been.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,379 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flam railway

It can work on certain days, but sometimes there are more than one (up to three) ships in Flåm. There is only room for one ship dockside, others will be tendered ashore. If you are on tender, you may not be able to be early enough. Which is your exact date ?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flam railway

We're there Friday 6th September. I understand we are not to be tendered ashore.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,379 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flam railway

You are the only ship in Flåm on that day and September is late in the season, so fingers crossed.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flam railway

Fingers crossed for the weather too!

7. Re: Flam railway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Flam