We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fjord Car Ferries

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
US
12 posts
Save Topic
Fjord Car Ferries

We are planning a trip to Norway, etc. this summer and will rent a car to drive around. I'm finalizing the itinerary this week.

On one day, we will drive from Bergen to Aurland via Voss, Vinje, Stalheim, Gudvangen and Flam. I'd like to take the ferry from Flam to Gudvangen.

- Is there a ferry that carries cares between these 2 towns?

- If not, then we will take the ferry one way and the bus back the other way. From a scenic perspective, which way is best to take the ferry - Gunvangen to Flam or vice versa?

- 2 days later we will go from Solvom to Balestrand and then continue on to Fjerland via Mundal. Is there a car ferry from Balestrand to Mundal? The only other alternative is to retrace our route back toward Sogndal before heading north on E5 toward Mundal.

Thanks!

I've got lots more questions, but will wait until I have finalized the itinerary to get feedback on it and other questions.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
29,179 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fjord Car Ferries

There is a car ferry from Balestrand to Fjærland in season.

www.sognefjord.no/en/Product/…

It is a tourist service with prices to match

The service from Flåm to Gudvangen is a passenger service only. You can do a return trip from Flåm or take the bus from Gudvangen to Flåm on return.

Alternatively, take the car ferry from Gudvangen to Lærdal on the day you are transferring across the fjord to Balestrand.

sognefjord.no/en/WHAT-TO-DO/Fjord-cruises/…

Note that Flåm and Gudvangen are tiny villages only, cannot be described as towns at all. Gudvangen is merely a handful of houses, a motel and a ferry dock.

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fjord Car Ferries

The car ferry Gudvangen to Kaupanger offers largely the same sightseeing as Gudvangen-Flåm, plus a section of the main fjord, perhaps expensive as this is a long ferry.

3. Re: Fjord Car Ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 04, 2014