We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

express boat to Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Flam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AF, UT
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
express boat to Bergen

We are considering taking the express boat in the summer from Flam to Bergen down the Sogneford. Is this a bumpy ride? I suffer quite easily from sea sickness. Any advice? Thanks.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: express boat to Bergen

I'm prone to sea sickness as well and have taken this boat many times over the years. The ride can at times be bumpy, depending on the wind and weather.

This is often mentioned on this forum: this is not a sightseeing boat. It is a catamaran, designed for high speed and it is not set up to be a "fjord cruise". Most likely you will not get the sightseeing you want from this express boat journey.

It is recommended to follow the Norway in a Nutshell round trip instead where the fjord cruise on Nærøyfjorden is included. Highly recommended as it this fjord arm is a UNESCO heritage site, and this is the spectacular part of Sognefjorden you would like to experience.

Edited: 6:02 pm, September 13, 2012
AF, UT
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: express boat to Bergen

What tour company takes the Norway in a Nutshell people on their fjord cruise on Naeroyfjorden? We will have train passes and so it will not be really frugal for us to do the NIN tour and not get our money's worth out of our rail passes. We are just looking for a fjord tour down the fjord from Flam area and on over to Bergen--is this possible? thanks.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: express boat to Bergen

The best fjord tour on the Sognefjord is the fjord cruise on Nærøyfjorden. You can combine this with your train pass, but please note that rail passes are not a particularly good deal in the Scandinavia (again this is often discussed on the main Norway forum, which contains all the sub-forums). The rail passes ended their golden days when the rail companies started offering discounted tickets. Check our www.nsb.no and read about the Minipris tickets.

www.fjord1.no offers the tourist route/fjord cruise on Nærøyfjorden (sorry, unable to link to the actual site as I'm using my iPhone).

You can also check out the schedule for Norway in a Nushell here: www.fjordtous.com

You can copy or tailor your own journey based on the NiN schedule as it is all by public transport.

Check out our trip report library on top of the main Norway forum under the title "Please post your reviews here" and read a couple of relevant posts on the forum for inspiration and information (or use the search feature).

And yay, we are already assisting next summers visitors, I like it ;-)

Edited: 8:35 pm, September 13, 2012
AF, UT
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: express boat to Bergen

Thanks for your kind help.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: express boat to Bergen

Some typos in my previous post, here is the correct link to Fjord Tours: www.fjordtours.com

Here is the link to the fjord cruise: fjord1.no/eng/…flam-gudvangen2

6. Re: express boat to Bergen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 21, 2013