We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Flam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

Hello,

I apologize in advance if anyone else has already asked this, but... I am just researching options for train travel from Bergen to Flåm on July 25, and the time I would like to book, 0840 to 1150, is termed "Lokaltog 271". Am I correct in assuming that I can still purchase this time but only at the train station or on the train (and at regular price, not minipris)? Will 7 min be enough time for the transfer at Myrdal? Thanks!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

These are local trains, minipris is not offered. And there is no need to book in advance. 7 minutes should be fine, these trains are meant to correspond.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

That is correct. You can also break the journey apart, if you'd like to pay a little less and have more time in Myrdal. The 7:58 train to Myrdal has a minipris @ 199nok right now. That's $12/pp. Search for just Bergen -> Myrdal.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

There is no need to spend more time in Myrdal. It is just a train junction in the mountains (un-manned).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

No point in breaking up the journey at Myrdal. There is nothing there but the station.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

I enjoyed walking around there. There's nothing much there, sure, but it's in the middle of a mountain side and there are a couple of houses near the station. I can imagine worse ways to spend 40 minutes. :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

Hi, Pippi2, I'm contacting you because you seem very knowledgeable and helpful.

We are having trouble figuring out our best way to see the fjords. We arrive in Bergen at 1:30 on August 21 and fly out of Bergen at 6:00 on August 24.

I would like to leave Bergen that day on a train or express boat or by car to go to aurland, flam or balestrand or ulvik and stay overnight. Maybe flam and take the railway early the next morning when it maybe won't be too crowded yet.

Is Bergen the only place in the area to be able to rent a car? Is renting a car a stupid idea to try to see the fjords? Are the car ferries real expensive?

If you have some suggestions for us, an alternate approach, I really would appreciate it. I can't wait to see your beautiful country and just want to make the most of it!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

The best place to pick up a rental car is Bergen. I would pick it up at the airport and then drive to Aurland the day you arrive. It is recommended to stay at Vangsgaarden. The following day I would do the Flåm Railway and the fjord cruise Flåm-Gudvangen or Gudvangen-Flåm. Take The bus in the opposite direction and leave the car parked in Flåm.

There is a web site with cruise arrivals in Flåm, which will tell you if it will be crowded or not. I'm on my mobile device at the moment, so reaching out to Klima, iverh, OV, GT & Co to see if they can help.

Return to Bergen the next day and enjoy the city.

This is my suggestion :-)

8. Re: Booking train tickets from Bergen to Flåm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, June 21, 2013