We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Which Forli hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Could anyone tell me where the school building used as a casualty clearing station by the New Zealanders in WW2 was situated. Is the building still there?

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hi, a lot of buildings was used as casuality clearing during WW2 because the heavy bombing suffered from Bologna. Do you know the name of the school? Is even possible isn't locate in the center of Bologna or in another town far from the city.

Is something related to this: http://www.capracotta.com/it/node/1035 ?

Bye

Riccardo

New Zealand
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Thank you Riccardo for your reply.

The school was in or near Forli, but it could have been at Villafranca de Forli.

The link you gave me was very moving. We, the relatives of the men who died in the war are very thankful for the help local Italian families gave to our family members.

I am looking for the Bassetti family in Forli. who lived at 21 via Carlo Cattaneo, in 1945. They looked after my uncle,Noel Jenkins, before he went into action in the area. He was seriously injured at Massa Lombarda and died in Forli , April 1945. How would I find and contact this family??

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hi.

I think is a very difficult reserch your one. Unfortunately I cannot help you, because I don't live near Forlì. But i can give you some suggestions.

First of all remember that for Italians change house isn't so commmon like for Americans (I don't know if in New Zealand you change house often). So is possible that at 21 in via Carlo Cattaneo live the same family. You can simply try to send a mail to this address and ask information: of course send a mail in italian.

A second step should be ask the help of veterans associations. But I don't know if is better contact a newzealander one or an italian one. Probably you can start from this website: http://www.cwgc.org/ . I suppose your uncle is buried in the WWII Cemetery in Forlì.

The only place you can find an information abour where a family live now is the "Ufficio Anagrafe" (registry office) of Forlì Municipality. They should know who live in the Via Cattaneo house and where the family you are looking for live now. But I'm not sure if they can provide this information (privacy laws) without an accreditation (for example from your Embassy or Consulate).

The suggestion to ask to New Zealand veterans associations is because probably they just do this kind of reseaches in the past (many time we read on newspaper about meeting of old fighters), so they know how to move. Or is possible they just have direct contact in Italy.

Sorry if I cannot help you more.

Bye

Forli, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hello

My name Jason Kumeroa and I'm currently living in Forli....I have been coming to Forli for the last 11 years....I have visited the Forli war Memorial Cemetery on a few occasions to pay respect to our fallen war hero’s....I also see that your uncle is buried in this cemetery....I know Forli very well and also the street of 21 via Carlo Cattaneo....If you still have not made contact with the Bassetti family that still may live at this house, I could go and ask on your behalf if you like? There is a link below of war soldiers who are buried in the Forli Memorial Cemetery.

www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_reports.aspx…

Regards

Jason

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

If you understamnd italian there was a new on local newpapers about a war diary written during WWII by an Italian soldier captured during Africa war and found by a New Zealand soldier. This is the link: ilrestodelcarlino.it/imola/cronaca/2011/08/2…

Your needing is a little different, but probably you can try to look on www if you can find some more news or try to contact the family of the New Zealand soldier.

Bye

Forli, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hello

Yes I watched the story of the Italian soldier who had his diary returned on the internet which was on a website in New Zealand www.tvnz.nz

I also have the link below if you would like to watch it.

tvnz.co.nz/sunday-news/…video

Regards

Jason

New Zealand
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hi Jason

Thanks for your reply. I am in touch with a lady at the university in Forli, who was going to try and find the Bassetti family from Forli but havn'e heard anything as yet. Apparently after the bombing during the war, some of the street were renamed, so they were trying to see if this was actually the same street as it is now. All that aside...it wouldn;t do any harm to visit them would it, they might know smething.? Thanks. Are you from NZ, the name looks familiar.

Regards Chris

Forli, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hello Chris

Yes I am from New Zealand....I live in Christchurch....I work in Forli for 7 to 8 months of the year from March til October and then return back to Christchurch for 3 or 4 months....like you say there is no harm in asking and I'm sure, if it's the same family they would be pleasantly surprised. I will try today for you and get back to you ASAP....I just think since I'm already here I could get the information to you quickly plus any New Zealander would like to be of help to a family that has a war hero.

Regards

Jason

Forli, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Hello Chris

I'm very sorry for the late reply....ok I went to the address of 21 Via Carlo Cattaneo....the family that lives at this address is not the Bassetti family....the family also had no idea who lived there before them....my Italian friend who took me to visit these people told me that the Bassetti name is quite a common name....if you have other names or any other information, maybe we can try something else.

Regards

Jason

New Zealand
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School building used as a casualty clearing station in WW2

Kia Ora Jason

Thanks for organizing the visit to the family in Forli...the only other name I have was that in 1945 the daughter in her late teens or early twenty's was called Sena Bassetti and she had a younger brother aged about 12 yrs old.

If they were still alive she would be quite old now, and I know she married had a child by 1951, when my great uncle visited the family. The brother would be in his late 70's.

Thanks so much for going out of your way for us and please thank your Italian friend as well.

Are you following the rugby world cup, it's very exciting over here at present..flags galore.....

Regards Chris