We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Which Vythiri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Vythiri in the month of November.

I would be driving from Coimbatore to Vythiri and from there to Bangalore.

The shortest route from Coimbatore to Vythiri according to google maps is:

Coimbatore -> Mannarkkad -> Manjeri -> Mukkam -> Adivaram -> Vythiri

The other route which I am familier is through Ooty -> Gudalur -> Sultan Bathery -> Kalpetta -> Vythiri

Could anyone let me know which route would have better roads. I would also prefer a route which is not through roads which are deserted.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Could anyone please help me finalize the route from Coimbatore to Vythiri..

I would be driving down next weekend and would really appreciate any suggestion

2. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:25 am, October 22, 2013
Thrissur, India
Level Contributor
548 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

From the two options mentioned, I would suggest you go through the familiar route as it will save you lots of time. But in case you decide to move through Manjeri, try to visit the THUSHARAGIRI waterfalls en route.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Thanks wow_kerala_trips

Could you please let me which route would have better roads.. I would not prefer driving through lonely roads...

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Did the trip recently and have thought it would be of help to people who are travelling from Comibatore to Vythiri and then to Bangalore.

Please find below the route and road conditions that I took

Coimbatore to Vythiri:

Took the following route : Coimbatore -> Kothigeri -> Ooty -> Gudalur -> Vythiri

The route is very scenic and one is around 210kms. Around 75% of the drive is through ghats and one has to drive very cautiously. Left Coimbatore at around 745AM and reached Mettupalayam. Here we have 2 options...either go through Coonoor or Kothigeri..

I have driven through both the routes and trust me the traffic through Coonoor is horrible. After getting suggestions from my friends, this time around I took the Kothigeri route and found this superb. The traffic was very thin and the roads were newly laid. Hence forth would always prefer this route.

hit Ooty at around 10AM and proceeded towards Gudalur. Thats when the nightmare began. I have never encountered such pathetic roads in TN. The 45 odd kms took us around 2 hrs. Full of potholes and huge craters. Would never recommend this route to anyone. People who are driving from Bangalore to Ooty should also avoid this route and take the Masinagudi route. We hit Gudalur at around 12PM and from there roads were way better

Once we entered Kerala the roads became even better. Smooth and well marked. Whoever told us that Kerala roads are not great need to really drive through Kerala. I would rate the roads way better. On the hindsight I was considering if I should have taken the alternative route through Mannarkad to reach Vythiri.

We reached Vythiri at around 1:30PM

Vythiri to Bangalore:

Route taken : Vythiri ->Kalpetta -> Sutan Bathery -> Gudalupet -> Mysore -> Mandya -> Bangalore

Started at around 9:45 AM.

Awesome roads all the way. As mentioned above, roads in Kerala were a beauty to drive. Very well marked and smooth. Once we crossed into Karnataka, the roads were good but not well marked. Especially the fact that there were so many unmarked speed breakers in Bandipur forest. (There were no speed breakers on the Kerala side). These speed breakers came up almost every km. It ensured that we did not drive rashly through forest area. Be careful about the unmarked speed breakers though. We ran over one at pretty good speed. Thankfully did break anything. The last thing that one wants is a broken car in the middle of a forest.

Rest of the route was uneventful, did encounter traffic from Gudalupet to Mysore. Took the ring road in Mysore and avoided all the traffic. Reached Bangalore at around 3PM.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Sorry for the late reply... You could have tried the Coimbatore - Annur - Sathyamangalam - Bannari - Hasanur - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery route also. Although this route is a little longer, all the roads are good and the ghat section is very limited. Planning to do this tomorrow.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

Thanks Prasanna.

Will note this route. may be next time around will use this route. Have a safe trip and please let me know the latest road conditions.

8. Re: Coimbatore - Vythiri - Bangalore - Best route to drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, April 22, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Vythiri