We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

Can anyone advise where is it best to stay in early November. I will be travelling by train from Menningen for a week-end and visiting Wisgrazbad. I am looking to stay where it is central, has things to do and Restaurants and not really expensive. Do you recommend Kempten or Lindau?

Mentioned in this post
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
13 replies to this topic
Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

I have been to both. We liked Kempten and it is so handy from Memmingen, plenty of shops, great swimming baths, and a pretty enough town and some nice restaurants.

Lindau was more scenic and equally as charming but perhaps has the edge.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Memmingen
Memmingen
Swabia, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

Thank you. This was very helpful. As Kempten is nearer to Memmingen we may stay there and travel to Lindau for the day. We were looking at the hotel Der Furstenhof in Kempten.

Mentioned in this post
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Memmingen
Memmingen
Swabia, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Der Furstenhof
Der Furstenhof
197 Reviews
Kempten, Germany
Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

When you arrive in Kempten you can get a bus from outside the train station to the town - too far to walk, but not far on the bus.

We stayed here: Parkhotel Kempten

Bahnhofstr. 1, 87435 Kempten,

booking.com/hotel/de/parkhotelkempten.en.html

which we really liked (entrance was a puzzle as it is not obvious). Lovely hotel with a fantastic breakfast in the panoramic restaurant. Would highly recommend.

But I know the hotel Furstenhof and it looked very nice too.

Edited: 2:26 pm, August 15, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

Thank you. You have just answered my next question which was about the transport from the station. I will check the Parkhotel. Is it central? We hope to visit our son in Wigrastzbad on the Sunday. Do you know if the train service is ok on Sundays?

Regards and thanks.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

I stayed at the Fuerstenhof before and like pretty much the location. The house was clean, rooms nice, breakfast was great too.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

My vote is for Lindau. It has a unique island location and , weather permitting some nice day trip opportunities, by boat, train, or train/bus combinations. At the time of your trip, the season is over, and some of the nice hotels along the harbor (within minutes walk of the RR station) should have plemty of vacancies and decent prices.

In my opinion, the only thing that speaks for Kempten is its closer location to Mermmingen.

Now a dumb question: Where is Wisgrazbad? Having lived in the Kempten area -and gone to school in Kempten for many years, I never heard of it and can't find it in any road atlas. Its location could possibly be a tie breaker of where to stop.

Mentioned in this post
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

Sorry but I did not spell Wigratzbad properly. It is between Kempten and Lindau and there is a Seminary there. From what you are saying about Lindau it may be possible that we could get a better price for a hotel nearer the time. I think Wigratzbad is tiny and we are only going there to meet our son who is going to study there in September.

Mentioned in this post
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

I'd also prefer Lindau over Kempten. Do a daytrip to Meersburg, which is very nice too. Visits to Memmingen and Kempten could be made en passant. Memmingen is actually quite nice too.

Mentioned in this post
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Meersburg (Bodensee)
Meersburg (Bodensee)
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Memmingen
Memmingen
Swabia, Germany
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

OK, I found it! In fact, you may want to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigratzbad, it's quite interesting.

You defintely will be better off staying in Lindau. The train from Memmingen to Lindau stops in Hergatz, which is just a short distance from the seminary (see the Wikepedia web site), and 18km from Lindau. The Kempten route would be considerably out of the way.

Enjoy your trip, and it's nice that some young men still go to seminary.

From Memmingen you can travel on a Bayern Karte ( also known as Bavarian ticket). This day ticket will save you a considerable amount of money. Look up the subject under "Search" anear the top pof this forum page. For train schedules, check www.bahn.de. EnterMemmingenfor start, Hergatz as destination. And look up "Local Transporartion only. This web sitre has an English language version, just click the Union Jack. You can also use the Bayernkarte to commute the 18km bertween Lindau and Hergatz.

Mentioned in this post
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Memmingen
Memmingen
Swabia, Germany
Kempten
Kempten
Swabia, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten

Thank you so much for your response which has been really helpful. I have taken your advise and will stay in Lindau. I will keep a check on the hotels through booking.com

Mentioned in this post
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Reply to: Where to stay: either Lindau or Kempten
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kempten